108898 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New Daylight Savings Time (DST) changes might break SIM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scott Sievers
Frequent Advisor

New Daylight Savings Time (DST) changes might break SIM

I was reviewing HP's main article about the new DST changes and had a few questions.
www.hp.com/go/dst

So do we only need to take action if SIM is loaded onto a ProLiant server? If SIM is on a PC with WindowsXP we are ok, right?

Also from this article it sounds like if I have SIM on a ProLiant server and don't update to SIM 5.1 then it won't work correctly. Can you elaborate as to what will be broken by not updating to SIM 5.1 before DST?

8 REPLIES 8
kc2kth
Frequent Advisor

Good info Scott, thanks for that.

Anyone know about how PSPs are effected by this? If we need to upgrade SIM to 5.1, do we need to upgrade all PSP's as well? Servers that have been in place for a year or more all have 7.40 as a minimum. Others may have 7.41 (for the agent fix), 7.5 or 7.6 (recently built boxes).

In a nutshell, is there a minimum agent requirement for SIM 5.1?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

HP SIM when installed ANYWHERE on ANYTHING must be at version 5.1 to be compliant with the DST2007 changes. Strictly speaking, however, HP SIM is licensed for use only on a ProLiant server.

This is necessary because HP SIM has an awareness of time--it stores dates in the database in epoch format, among other reasons--and needs to be aware of the change.

The agents and the ProLiant Support Pack have no concept of time and so are not affected. However, the operating system must be aware of the change, so make sure that is patched.
scotted
Frequent Advisor

so what is the impact of running SIM 5.0 and DST?
Scott Sievers
Frequent Advisor

If you don't upgrade it appears that timestamps will be off by one hour for the affected periods of March 11 ├в April 1, 2007 and October 28 ├в November 4, 2007. Scheduled jobs will also execute one hour off from the time requested.

Here is something else to consider now.
COMPATIBILITY ISSUES
HP SIM needs to be updated to HP SIM 5.1 to adjust to the new Daylight Savings Time for 2007. Storage Essentials 5.1 SP2 must be installed prior to upgrading to HP SIM 5.1. Storage Essentials 5.1 SP2 will be available in early March 2007
http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000085118709
However as of today's date an update in Storage essentials is still pending on this matter.
http://h10072.www1.hp.com/dst/storage.html#storage_main

More info to read up on
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00809216&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=378556
http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000085095946
Kelly Beauchaine
Regular Advisor

gusss I should have read these posts and KB articles more closeley because I just attempted to upgrade to HP SIM 5.1 and have blown my management server out of the water! Please tell me I can re-install version 5.0??

Thanks!
Kelly Beauchaine
Regular Advisor

Whew! I got the application back up and running with the newer version!
Now for a basic question which I can't seem to find an answer for . . .
I have about 6 versions of the PSP packages listed in my Version Control Repository and would like to remove all but the latest. They take up a lot of space and I'm running this on a virtual machine, so could use the extra disk space. Is there an easy way to remove the ones I don't want? The repository directory is just full of unzipped packages but I don't know how to remove the ones I no longer need. Is there a tool or do I just delete everything and install the latest PSP?
Thanks!
Kelly
Gary Vickers
Advisor

Kelly,

To delete unwanted support packs, click on the catalog tab of the VCRM. From there you can choose which support packs you do not want. If there are dependencies on files in other support packs they will not be deleted.
Kelly Beauchaine
Regular Advisor

Gary,
All I can say is "DUH". Guess it HAS been a while since I was in there! Thanks!