1754294 Members
3025 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New SIM 6.0 install - WBEM, SNMP

MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

New SIM 6.0 install - WBEM, SNMP

From the RAID up rebuilt Windows 2003 server, Fresh install HP SIM 6.0.
1. WBEM - I try configure/repair on the SIM server, error comes back: could not subscribe to WBEM events, HP WBEM provider not installed or not running. Is there an install for this?
2. SNMP - VCRM could not be accessed with the account and password provided (even though the account/password can logon to the server) - from this or a client system I've configured. I see in the SIM configure/Repair screen that "a Read/write string will be created automatically on windows Systems" - but this read/write string is not created in SNMP service \ Security properties on this Windows system which is the SIM server. It is created on any other system I look at. This might be breaking VCA-VCRM? How to fix?
6 REPLIES 6
pgarr
Frequent Advisor

I've just put up a new SIM60 box myself this week.

For WBEM I found that this is not installed by default on the client side- you will have to get the PSP on the target and check WBEM provider then install.

For VCRM, when you say the account can log onto the server- if you mean the OS level- you still need to add that account in HPSIM\security. If you already added it, make sure it was added with the administrator template. I found adding it as any but, for example a normal user, in SIM caused it to not work.
MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

I've had other SIM servers, I have a 5.3 server now, but it's old, and run out of space - good time to start fresh. That server does not have the account included in HP SIM\Security at all. I've added it in my SIM 6.0, but it doesn't help. I have seen that in Options \ Version Control Repository this SIM 6.0 repository has a status Major. (The old 5.3 repository has a status Normal. I've uninstalled/reinstalled VCRM already, that didn't help. I'm hunting aourn looking for something to tell me what's making this status Major.
Lars Bornich
Frequent Advisor

Your SNMP settings on your CMS should be set up the following way:

Trap destionations:
localhost
FQDN of your CMS

Accepted community names:
READ CREATE

If you're not accepting packets from "any host", make sure that both localhost and FQDN of your CMS is in the accepted list
MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

Thaks. My SIM installs and configure have always set up destination with host name, not FQDN. I've edited the CMS' to FQDN to watch what that does. And the installs create a community name with a long alphanumeric string name set to READ WRITE.
But i think my reinstall yesterday got it working, slow-motion (after my earlier reply where I said reinstall hadn't helped). HP support recommended a couple component updates (SMH, VCRM, VCA). Today I see proliant support packs V8.40 have just arrived. One concer remains. In SIM, in Options \ VCR this repository shows up with a MAJOR status symbol over it, like its down. This made sense yesterday, but now from what I can tell the VCR is working, but still has major status. Thanks.
Lars Bornich
Frequent Advisor

The major status could be due to a missing trust relationship.

If your VCRM is installed on a different physical server than your CMS, you will need to import the HPSIM certificate to SMH on the VCRM server and the trust relationship to "By Certificate".
MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

This VCR is on the same server as the CMS. I do still have a SIM 5.3 CMS with its own VCR, also CMS and VCR together on their server. Could that be causing issues, at least the Major status, confusion over who is trusting whom? I plan to retire it as soon as I have the new one fully configured - Monday probably, not today. The new one's Remote Software Support seemed to all set up successfully.