1753406 Members
7160 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

new to snmp - some questions

Nick M_1
Frequent Advisor

new to snmp - some questions

Hi I want to set up SNMP alerts to trigger from a XP24K SVP when thin provision thresholds are reached. Alerts will go to HP SIM and the SNMP agent runs on the XP24K SVP / service processor. I am familiar with XP24K, but I am new to SNMP.

I hope to better understand how SNMP manager integrates into HP SIM and the amount of configuration required to get HP SIM to discover the SNMP agent on the XP24K. I am not sure how involved this is likely to be

Please answer the following -

* IтАЩd expect the SNMP manager to run on HP SIM. When I discover the XP24KтАЩs SNMP agent тАУ would this be achieved via a HP SIM discovery task? Or would I enter a SNMP manager dialogue in HP SIM to discover a SNMP agent?

* Can I discover SNMP agents by using default snmp communities or do I have to set up specific snmp communities?

Thanks

Nick

3 REPLIES 3
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Re: new to snmp - some questions

Well if you can find a HP Sim agent for XP, in you re SNMP need to be configure to speak to the server and itself(127.0.0.1), now if you can to do this please informa us,we would be happy.

The only thing i know is Altiris client,include HP CLIENT inside it,it belows now to symantec, it was HP owned and created.

Dan
Eddie J. Garza
Advisor

I don't know much about this partitular 24000 SVP. But I do know that an SNMP trap can be gernated by HP SIM when the threshold of the provision is exceeded. See http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA1-3937ENW.pdf page 8.
Also, since we are dealing with storage, I would imagine that you need an SMI-S provider. This is ususally installed on a host that connects to the storage and at leasts in the EVA world comes with Command View. If you can find out the SMI-S providers for the XP24000 you might be headed in the right direction.
Hope this helps.
Nick M_1
Frequent Advisor

All

Thanks for your comments. I have been able to send a SNMP trap from the XP24000 to the HP SIM server. I compiled + registered a mib called USPMIB (or Hitachi Universal Storage Platform SNMP MIB) on the HP SIM server. I added the HP SIM server ip address to the SNMP agent's community on the XP24K and discovered the XP24K from the HP SIM server. I sent a test trap from the XP24K and it reached HP SIM. I haven't generated a thin provision trap yet.

I think the XP24K talks to HP SIM server (aka CMS) via C track. I am going to try and limit the types alert that are sent because our capacity planning people are only interested in thin provision alerts - not hardware alerts. Although I haven't worked out how to do this yet

regards

Nick