1753588 Members
6780 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

No detail on service events

Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

No detail on service events

We recently upgraded to SIM 6.0. I'm not sure what I missed but we are no longer receiving service event detail. Hopefully someone can help out.

For example, when a hard drive fails, we always used to get data about a drive has failed in XYZ server, etc.

Now, the only email we get is from SIM and in reference to the server we get
"Event Name: A Service Incident has been reported (Type 4)."

We then have to go into SIM to get the detail.
I had it configured to send major and critical events to us, so we do get these errors, but I'm not seeing where more data like drive failures, or a PS failure, is getting through.
thoughts?
3 REPLIES 3
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: No detail on service events

At a guess you're getting the alert via WEBES but the actual snmp trap isn't being delivered directly to HPSIM.

Check the SNMP Trap destination is configured with the right community name to point to the HPSIM 6.0 server.
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

That is definitely what it sounds like, that we're just getting WEBES information.

The new server (6.0 SIM)assumed the same name, IP, and even the certificate I imported from the old box... which was 5.3 sp2, and running win2k3. The new box runs win2k8.

I can't figure out where else I can have it set wrong. SNMP on the box is set to receive from all hosts. I even just went into event filter settings, previously (5.3) I had nothing checked. This time I just said enable all, and put a * in to accept from all ip's.

Anything I'm missing?
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

I just logged onto a Windows box, went to Control panel, and clicked the HP agents, to send a test trap.

The test trap sent, and the SIM 6.0 server kicked out this. No real SNMP info, just the WEBES I think. What the heck...

"Event Name: A Service Incident has been reported (Type 4).
URL: https://kronosdb:2381/
Event originator: kronosdb
Event Severity: Critical
Event received: 27-Apr-2010, 12:14:53
Event description: This event will be sent any time a service incident is reported. A service incident is generated when it is determined that a serviceable event has occurred based upon analysis of system-initiated events. User Action: Refer to the Recommended Action under the event details section.