2715 Online
108883 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Notification delay when VPN is down

lanziagmail.com
Occasional Contributor

Notification delay when VPN is down

Hi All,

I have just installed HPSIM 5.1 with SP1 to monitor our customers HP hardware.

I have configured event handling for Major and Critical events only.
We have VPN connections to our customers but some of the connections are unreliable.
Everytime a VPN connections fails (for only a little while) messages are send to our support mailbox. All togehther this generates a lot of emails.

Of course we would like to know about it if a system is not reachable for over a longer period (like 20 minutes or so).

Is there anyway to delay the notification when
a system is not reachable?
This would help us a lot.

Also I would like to know if there is anyway to change the graphical interface.
If have created a shared collection for the customers, in here I have added the hardware.
We display the collection on a "wall mounted" mdisplay so we can monitor whet is happening.
The problem is,...it is pretty small.

Is there anyway to make it bigger (without changing the display resolution)

Kind regards,

Alex

2 REPLIES 2
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

Re: Notification delay when VPN is down

Is there anyway to delay the notification when a system is not reachable?

Hardware status polling for Server's default = 5min, for Non-Server's Default=10min. Just go to the polling tasks screen and change the interval from 5 to whatever you like.

Is there anyway to make it bigger (without changing the display resolution)

you could change the text size in IE that connects to the big wall mounted display. Go to the menu bar at the top select View>Text Size>pic one that looks better
Regards,
Martin
Carlsberg
Frequent Advisor

Re: Notification delay when VPN is down

You could do a script that runs every say 20 minutes that uses mxquery to check if any servers are on critical condition, output that to a file and use blat to send it.

Something like this

:QUERY
mxquery -e "Critical Systems" |findstr /I "Name" | findstr /V "Asso" > path\filename.txt

:CHECKSIZE
set newcritical=
for /f "eol=0 skip=6 tokens=3" %%c in ('dir path\filename.txt') do echo %%c & if %%c NEQ 0 set newcritical=1
(IF NOT DEFINED newcritical goto end)

:BLAT
set smtp_server=-server
set body=-body ""
set f=-f
set to=-to
set subject=-subject
set Attachment=-ps path\filename.txt
blat %attachment% %to% %f% %subject% %body% %smtp_server%

:END
EXIT

Thsi runs the query and the filters out the stuff I wanted with findstr and outputs it to a txt file.
The for loop checks the filesize and if it is not 0 bytes m then it proceeds to the blat stage.

Hope this helps or at least brings some ideas.