New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem: Activating logical server - ESX host not licensed

SOLVED
Go to solution
Isabell Mende
Occasional Advisor

Problem: Activating logical server - ESX host not licensed

Hello,

I have a problem with activating logical servers.
My SIM has a trial license which has not expired yet. I wanted to integrate an ESX server into it to create logical servers using SIM. I have configured the ESX so it is recognized as an ESX host on which you can create logical servers.

I now tried to activate the created server but it didn't work, the ESX appears in the Rejected Target Hosts with the error message:
"ESX host was filtered out because the ESX host is not licensed."

What does that mean? I checked the license of the ESX server itself and it seems to be alright. I also had a look into the License Manager, but there is already a license of Virtual Machine Management Pack assigned to that ESX, I also assigned one to the inactive logical server.

Does SIM lack specific licenses or does the ESX server have the problem?

Has anybody any idea what to do now? I un- and reinstalled the VMM Agent, I configured everything else again, but nothing would work :( ...

Thanks in advance and best regards
Isabell
4 REPLIES 4
Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

Look inside the virtualization manager.

Are there any "alerts" indicating that a
system or systems are unlicensed?

In addition to any VMM license applied to your ESX host, you also need an Insight Control Environment license and an Insight Dynamics license applied to each ESX host.

If your ESX host happens to be a blade inside of an enclosure, you'll need an Insight Control Environment for Blades license instead of the "Insight Control Environment" license, which is for ProLiant servers.

Good luck!

-- Rob
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

That's not correct. You only need a VMM license to get VMM functionality to work.

VMM Licenses are assigned to the hosts. You also need the VMM Agents installed on the host and the certificate added.

Search through the forum, similar questions have been asked before and the steps to register and license the ESX described.
Brad Klein
Advisor
Solution

A target ESX host for logical server activation must be licensed with an Insight Dynamics license. Have you verified in the License Manager that the system is licensed for Insight Dynamics? If VMs are targets, the VM host needs to be licensed and there must be a SIM association between the host and guest. VMs inherit their license state from the respective host. Note that the logical server nodes in SIM themselves do not need licenses assigned to them - just physical servers.
Isabell Mende
Occasional Advisor

Yes, thanks, it was the ID VSE license that was missing and caused the problem!

Thank you very much for your help!