Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753905 Members
10115 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Reporting failed Mirrored drive software ?

stevewolf58
Occasional Contributor

Reporting failed Mirrored drive software ?

We are interested in getting a new server. I have been quoted a Xeon E5606 I think. (it really doesn't matter I think)

However I really want a warning weather it be email or big claxson, bell, beep what ever, to tell me when one of my SATA mirrored drives goes down. I Only plan on having two drives in the system, HW mirrored.

HP has quoted me 400 dollars (it even appears to be yearly according to the salesman's quote.)  for software that monitors the raid. Dell I believe offers this software for free.

Im not that familiar with HP hardware, but is there any of their systems that just automatically beeps when the drive goes bad or off line. Or has  a free option to warn me about impending doom. It seems kinda odd that they would charge for what seems like it should be part of the system. The sales guy says I can access the server from anywhere in the world. I dont need to a simple beep or email is good enough for me.

Dont suppose there is third party software.?

Can anyone answer my questions. Thanks.

Stev.

P.S. This thread has been moevd from General to ITRC HP Systems Insight Manager Forum. - Hp Forum Moderator

6 REPLIES 6
nhbilly
Frequent Advisor

Re: Reporting failed Mirrored drive software ?

That's odd. All the servers I ever built from Dell, HP, IBM always showed an amber light for a bad hard drive. The beeping is way too annoying for me. I disable it. And I didn't pay extra for the blinking amber lights.

stevewolf58
Occasional Contributor

The flashing light may be there. But I want to put this server is in a location were it is out of the way to check. I know one IT guy who walks in front of the Servers every AM and PM to see the light. I don't want to do this. I don't mind the sound since its a failed drive.

Does anyone know out of the box does every  HP with raid beep when the drive fails. We have one here but I don't see any option to turn it on or off. I was told by HP that you had to get the software to indicate a failure, accept for the yellow light.

Again we are interested in buy a new small server that has this feature.

Can any one provide any input on this?

Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

server doesnt beep when a drive is failed , only amber led is indicated on the failed drive and only if it is a hot swap hard drive .

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
IRad

I know there is a free HP based software that will send out an email when a drive goes into a failed state.  Any ideas what that is?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Take a look at HP Systems Insight Manager

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/index.html

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

In general it works like this: the system management agents report events to the system event log, then several tools can process these events. Starting from the insight event notifier that sent you an email about the event it goes up to the HP SIM that can monitor several hundreds of devices, automatically opens hp support cases in such event etc.

HP SIM is overkill for a single system, consider to start with installing the management agents and set up the event notifier. You can always check the status by using ACU or HP system management homepage.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!