1753331 Members
5305 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SIM 6.2 and too many DNS Lookups

Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

SIM 6.2 and too many DNS Lookups

It seems out SIM server is performing too many DNS resolutions. Our networking guys recently turned on logging. They said our SIM server is doing 10% of the DNS lookups for our entire organization.
One system, that SIM has already identified (it's actually the name of our firewall) and monitors in our system.. has been looked up 4 Million times, today alone.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on or how I can even troubleshoot this?

We are on Win 2008 64bit, with SIM 6.2 and the latest March update.
4 REPLIES 4
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: SIM 6.2 and too many DNS Lookups

Yes, HP SIM is constantly reaching out and touching items for the purposes of managing them and getting current status, etc, and that involves DNS lookups. However, those DNS lookups should be cached at the OS level so you should never see the volume you're reporting at the actual DNS servers.

This should be investigated at the HP SIM CMS's operating system level.
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

Not sure I understand what you mean the CMS OS. So, not windows, but SIM?
How do I troubleshoot that?
It all seems to look fine to me.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Correct, I mean the Windows OS on the CMS. The question is why it isn't caching DNS requests and instead is forwarding all of them to the DNS server.

Do a Google search on 'Windows DNS cache' and you'll find a bunch of articles that will help. Definitely check the TTL value and make sure it hasn't been changed from the default of 1 day.
shocko
Honored Contributor

Also check the DNS configuration of the underlying OS. Ensure al DNS servers are live and can answer the queries i.e. do you have multiple DNS suffixs in use?
If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)