Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748145 Members
3498 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Start fresh or migrate questions

SIMNewbie

Start fresh or migrate questions

I am new to HP SIM and have inherited a SIM 5.0 solution currently monitoring 600+ servers. I want to Move to SIM 6 on a new W2008x64 Proliant DL380 G6 server.

1. Should I migrate to the new server or start over? I'm leaning toward new as I think I'll learn a lot more in the process, plus be able to abandon some of the old configurations.

2.If I start over and name the new server the same as the old with same IP will all the SNMP traps and community strings currently pointing to the old server work on the new (I don't want to re-configure all 600+ servers with new SNMP Traps and community strings)

3. Is there anything in this process (migrating or starting fresh) that will cause the servers being monitored to restart?

Thanx!
2 REPLIES 2
Tuscani_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: Start fresh or migrate questions

I plan to start fresh.. I have 2000+ servers on my 5.3 server now. New server will have a new name but same IP.. so I should just need to push an updated cert.. no SNMP changes. :0)

I don't have enough custimizations to justify an import\export process or update.

The only thing holding me up is lack of RSP support on 2008 R2 x64... grrr.

OlivierV
Trusted Contributor

Re: Start fresh or migrate questions

Hi.
I'm in the very same situation excepted that I must use a new server that will be a VM with a new IP address.

The process I will follow is (according to the replies I got and some other threads) :

- install the new W2003 R2 server with SQL 2005 and SIM 6. HP says SQL 2005 is only supported with W2003 (HP SIM 6 installation and configuration guide)
- use the old SIM 5.0 server for propagating the new certificate and SNMP settings to all the HP servers we monitor.
- reconfigure SNMP for the other devices.
- upgrade the old server to SIM 5.1, 5.2 then 5.3 SP1
- use the migration tool provided with SIM 6.0 for migrating the datas to the new server

Regards.