3462 Online
108830 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: System Model: unknown

SOLVED
Go to solution
mdking

Three (that I know of) of my 400 servers are having the same problem. The servers are DL380's & two are G4's and one is a G3. They were originally using the 7.40 PSP and after identifying the problem, I did an in place upgrade to PSP 7.70. This did not resolve the issue so I proceeded to remove all the agents and do a clean install of the PSP forcing them to update current versions. This produced no change. I then engaged HP's support. He recommended downgrading to 7.60. I was very doubtful that would produce any desirable effect and that doubt proved to be well founded. Afterward I began searching on the forums and found the following.
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=805954
This thread contained some good information and using it I removed & reinstalled SNMP, updated the systems firmware, verified the SNMP settings are correct which are distributed via GPO to all the servers, and found another article.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_ES050727_CW01&locale=en_US
None of these steps helped although the last article made the timeout error message disappear.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
MDK
Donmac

Hi

I downloaded installed the following

HP Insight Management Agent for servers (Windows 2003 latest version) CP007179.exe

and this stopped the system model = unknown message. All works fine now.

Paul
imasood

Heres what did it for me:

In SNMP service settings, on the security tab, choose the "Accept SNMP packets from these hosts" radio button. In addition to your SIM server add localhost to that list. That made everything work for me....EVERYTHING!!!
starchaser
Occasional Contributor

Please make sure that the HP Insight management agents and HP system management homepage is correctly configured under the HP remote deployment utility.
Jreynolds

I was having the same issue and followed the advice of this thread.

To resolve my issue I did the following

1) Set SNMP to accept from any host.
2) configure a community string to have read only.

This then showed the information I required.

Thanks all
Patraulescu

the 'localhost' in permitted managers for snmp communities seems to do the job (the anyhost is working too because 'localhost' is a host as 'any')
Mark Sifflett

Had problem and fixed, thanks you guys. Mine was snmp. I'd also like to point out that version repositry needs populating and pointing a the correct folder for it all to work well.
Brandi Holcomb

I had a similar problem, only it's about 3 years later and it was with PSP 8.0 on a new server setup. Just thought I'd put it out there for any others who run into it.

On the local System Management Homepage (SMH) of the new Server 2003 std box, the system model was "unknown" and there were no boxes showing the status of the different modules (network, System, storage). However, Version Control agent worked fine (and showed up in the SMH, and the system status summary was OK. (But it was OK because it wasn't monitoring anything!) This was after I had struggled to get the SMH to show up at all after doing a firmware update (it's not clear if the firmware update blitzed it, but it was after that point that I could no longer get to SMH).

Once I reinstalled all PSP components using the "force" option, SMH showed up, but in this useless state described above. Reinstalling the WBEM option, using the "force" option caused my proliant model to become known again and Network, System, and Storage boxes reappeared.

Prasad12

I have faced the same issues on a HP Proliant DL380 G5 server.

But after changing the SNMP settings under services its working fine.

Here what I did :

Go to Services and select SNMP services.

Right click on it and select properties.

Select security tab. Click on add and enter

a community name.

localhost should be added under

"Accept SNMP packets from these hosts"

Click on OK.

Now go to HP system management icon on the

desktop of the server or go to HP mangement

agents under programs.

Everything should be populated about the

server and System model : should have model

name here.
Prasad12

Thanks Dave. I have tried multiple things.

But your suggestions helped me to solve the

issue.