1753883 Members
7511 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unable to select SNMP as data source for SMH

Nicolai Rasmussen
Regular Advisor

Unable to select SNMP as data source for SMH

I've recently installed PSP 8.40 on a couple of windows server 2003 servers.

Now it defaults to WBEM as data source in SMH, and I would like to switch that back to SNMP. But the option to switch to SNMP is greyed out.

I don't want to use wbem as I've never had success in getting it to work properly with HP SIM and Windows Servers. I definitely prefer SNMP, as that used to work just fine with our HP SIM installation.

Anyone know how to fix this? - The snmp service is configured and running.
10 REPLIES 10
Lars Bornich
Frequent Advisor

Re: Unable to select SNMP as data source for SMH

Have the HP SNMP Management Agents been installed as well? If yes, are the Agent services running?

CqMgHost
CpqNicMgmt
CqMgServ
CqMgStor
Nicolai Rasmussen
Regular Advisor

The Management Agents has been installed, and all mentioned services are running.

It looks like SMH just doesn't see the agents are there. I only have this issue on 1 system. HP SIM isn't able to recognize it either, so it must be some sort of strange configuration issue. I wonder if there are some configuration files I can copy over from a working system?
Lars Bornich
Frequent Advisor

Normally, I simply force a re-install of the management agents in a scenario like that (HP recommends this as a solution, believe it or not)
Nicolai Rasmussen
Regular Advisor

That seems to be HPs solution to alot of problems. It's really hard to get a thorough understanding of how the software works, when the solution to every problem is always "reinstall".

Anyway, I will try it out and see if it solves anything.
Eric Wazocha

Experienced the same issue on a DL360 G3. I reinstalled the Insight Management Agents and it resolved the issue. It would be nice if reinstall wasn't always the answer.
Nicolai Rasmussen
Regular Advisor

I now have this issue on two servers.
Windows 2003 SP2, one BL460c G6 and an old DL385 G1. The symptoms are as follows:

1. I get a timeout when opening HP SMH. Seem related to the VCA (I've tried with v.6 and v.2, same result)
2. WBEM is data source.
3. If I switch data source to SNMP, no data is showing in SMH afterwards.

I've tried to uninstall/reinstall SNMP agents, HP SMH, VCA and have rebooted several times. - Same behaviour.
Both systems were upgraded from a previous version of the PSP. Anyone found a solution for this?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

If you have an old version of the VCA installed, that'slikely to be the problem. It hangs. search the forum for more detail.
But, check in:
C:\hp\hpsmh\data\cgi-bin\vcagent\cache
If you have 4 files and one is zero length then the VCA is hung.
Kill vcagent.exe (stop service hangs) and then start the version control service. Then browse to the vca.
The issue is the SW polling task corrupts the cache if it is the first to access the VCA after a service restart (reboot etc.) this is fixed in later VCA versions. Restarting & then browsing creates the cache correctly.
Nicolai Rasmussen
Regular Advisor

I'm aware of that problem with the older versions of the VCA. However, it does not seem to be the case here. It must be related with the fact that SMH doesn't recognise SNMP as an available data source, even though the agents are installed and running.

I'm now seeing the same issue, but this time it's WBEM that is not detected. All our servers are per default installed with WBEM agents. Some systems it works, some systems it doesnt. On the systems where it doesnt work, I can install the snmp agents and that will then work as data source for SMH. This however means that the WBEM agents are not functioning properly, and I need this for communcation with HPSIM on my Virtual Server Hosts.

Uninstalling/reinstalling doesn't help here either. This is a fundamental problem with SMH/SNMP/WBEM and I'd really appreciate it, if I shouldnt have to spend hours and hours on trying to getting simple management software to work. - It should just work out of the box...
danobi
Frequent Advisor

Hi Nicolai,

might not be related, but I had the same issue yesterday.
After upgrading Firmware 9.00/PSP 8.50 and installing WBEM Agents, the SNMP was greyed out.
Checked the System, found that Insight Management Agents and some other Components had failed on installation. Reinstalled PSP and I could switch to SNMP after that.

Cheers,
Daniela