Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752433 Members
6155 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Version Control Repository URL/Port for Firewall Rules

RDrumonde

Version Control Repository URL/Port for Firewall Rules

We are implementing VCR on our SIM 5.2 Server and need the specific URL/IP for the automatic updates to the HP site. The server sits behind several firewalls and requires the specific URL or IP to connect to HP for the repository updates. Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Numy
Frequent Advisor

Re: Version Control Repository URL/Port for Firewall Rules

I know this part probably doesn't answer your question but here is a good reference about firewall ports required:

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/management/hpsim/ManagingHPServers-withHPSIM.pdf

Here is the Version Control Repository Manager Document as well:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00293365/c00293365.pdf

You could set it up to use a proxy if that's an option. That's what we are currently doing. You could also do manual updates(no fun).

To find out your update location, you could try to do an update and then run netstat or tcpview and see what is sitting in a syn_sent status in that view since it should be rejected. I think it may be different based on geographic location but I could be wrong on that point. (Or you could log dropped packets from the firewall log if you have access - I don't at my location.)

I tried looking for it in some of the property files but couldn't find the URL. I did turn off proxy on one VCR and tried it and it attempted to connect to:
tux408-f.q-tam.hp.com:ftp SYN_SENT

I am guess that it either uses that address or references that address to pick up the best location to talk to in the future. Hope this helps get you a little further. Maybe an HP person can chime in on the process for this.
Matthew J Warrick
Frequent Advisor

From the firewall PDF, VC needs the following permitted inbound to the servers to be monitored:

2381, 2301, 161, 80, and ICMP
"Did you get that memo?"
TechGuru
Trusted Contributor

VCRM use ftp://ftp.hp.com & ftp://ftp.compaq.com for doing automatic update, & it will work in both Active FTP & passive FTP setup