1752684 Members
5529 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VM Host status changed to installed/not licensed

BruceATL
Occasional Advisor

VM Host status changed to installed/not licensed

"HP VMM agent has been installed on the VM Host, but the host is not licensed for HP VMM."

I needed to set up a demo of VMM. I installed HP SIM on a VMware Windows VM from the CD and let it install everything, including VMM. It worked pretty well. It all worked, the customer liked the demo and will buy. Because it's a lab and a dynamic environment, I had the CMS network configured in a Workgroup.

I have two ESX VM hosts and one Microsoft Virtual Server (MVS) 2005 host managed by this environment.

After the demo, we decided to keep the CMS and joined it to the more stable Windows Domain in the lab.

Ooooo boy!
Both the ESX servers and the MVS server then lost their association with the VMM world.

I found this: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00629403
and used it successfully to restart "HP Virtual Machine Management Agent," and VMM can see it again and MVS host has a green check mark in the VM column in HP SIM.

I also used the article above to restart VMM agents on the ESX hosts (service hpvmmcntsvc restart). However, they still have the "information" icon (HP VMM agent has been installed on the VM Host, but the host is not licensed for HP VMM) in the VM column.

When I look at licensing (deploy->license manager... -> Virtual Machine Management->Licensed Systems(s)..., I see three "Licenses Used" but only the two ESX hosts listed when I click licensed systems.

I suspect I could solve this by using my only two remaining licenses, but why should I do that?

How can I get these two ESX hosts back in the VMM fold and how do I get the license manager to show actual status?

Bruce Langston
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: VM Host status changed to installed/not licensed

Can't recall where it lists it, but the demo licenses only have 30 days I think - so if dates have moved that will mean they're no longer valid.

If they're still current try Re-registering the host or even unregister and re-register.

The license manager changes its status when an assigned license has actually been used. You may have assigned three licenses but only used two of them. If that's the case you can still unassign the unused license.
BruceATL
Occasional Advisor

Hi, Rob.

Thanks for the ideas. The licenses are 60-day and still have fifty left. This installation "broke" when I moved the CMS from a workgroup into the domain. That's where I'm going to find the problem.

Bruce
BruceATL
Occasional Advisor

Hi, Rob.

Thanks for the ideas. The licenses are 60-day and still have fifty left.

I've tried un-registering and re-registering to no avail.

This installation "broke" when I moved the CMS from a workgroup into the domain. That's where I'm going to find the problem.

Bruce
Tim Yeung_1
Frequent Advisor

Were you ever able to solve this problem? If so, how?

Thanks.