Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752767 Members
5200 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Which Updates are likely to need a reboot?

GuidestoneIT
Occasional Advisor

Which Updates are likely to need a reboot?

I've searched the forum already and only found one other similar request that went unanswered.

I would like to push out updates to servers during working hours.  Obviously, I don't want to have a reboot - I will save those for maintenance windows.   I also know to stay away from the NIC as I don't want to blink the network connection.

Is there an HP doc that sums up which updates will need a reboot?  I sampled quite a few "component details" within the VCA and it never indicates anything about a reboot.

If there is no such HP doc, can I get as many responses with peoples experiences in the field?

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Which Updates are likely to need a reboot?

If it is a firmware or ROM update you will always need a reboot, except for the ILO.  Most drivers and application updates in VCA do not require a reboot.  While I would not do it to a critical server, I do update firmware on low prioirty servers at any time.  The update will not be applied until the server reboots at a scheduled time.  Just make sure the "Automatic Reboot" box is unchecked

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

This has already been answered adequately, but if you launch the Smart Update Manager, when you select an update it should tell you if that update requires a reboot.

Normally, i install/upgrade agents, iLO components (incl firmware), SMH and any of the tools/diagnostic components (ACU, ADU, etc..) without reboots.   The only updates i stay away from are RAID, NIC and BIOS, until I can schedule an outage of the server.  As mentioned, however, you can "pre-stage" the updates by running them and not rebooting.  Many of them, like BIOS, RAID FW, and hard drive microcode updates, do not actually update until the next reboot.  The only downside there is you may want to be around for that reboot in case something goes wrong.  Not much you can do about the NIC updates, but I usually shy away from any of them unless there is a critical update.  The NIC stuff is the only component I have ever had serious issues with (everything from broken NICs afterward to BSODs). 

I will echo LGentile's comments about updating NICs:  Don't do it unless you must.  If you are using NIC teaming, dissolve the team before doing the update.  Learn from us who have felt the pain and burn of frustration!

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

So true Andrew - that teaming component is the most troublesome of all. In fact, i am not 100% sure how to completely remove it if the server is ever virtualized. It seems to stick around forever.