7355 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Why use HPSIM when PSP does everthing

mscarrick
Occasional Advisor

Why use HPSIM when PSP does everthing

Hi.
I've been using HPSIM for a while now and struggling to understand the need for using HPSIM on a central management server when you can install the Proliant support pack on each client server and get the same services.

Other than saving yourself logging onto each server individually can anyone give a list of benefits HPSIM offers.

TIA
3 REPLIES 3
Glynn Seymour
Occasional Advisor

I may be missing something here, but I generally use it to tell me when my hardware goes wrong... some of said hardware being roughly 1000 miles away in a locked room.

It does other performance monitoring, but we use different tools for that, and pushing PSPs etc. is just a nice bonus.. theres a run team to do that when it's required anyway.
mscarrick
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your response.
The reason I'm asking is I have a group of servers using HPSIM but I have an older server which isnt and cant find a reason to add it.

The older server uses HP event notifyer config to send emails out with hardware issues (sending them from a client box rather than HPSIM).

I log on with remote desktop to install things (from the system management homepage/version control agent) rather than pushing them out by HPSIM.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

if you are only managing a small number of servers the reasons are less compelling, but with a larger number it does make more sense.
event handling - you don't always want the same things from different groups of servers or other infrastructure items such as switches and storage, so being able to centrally set those up in groups rather than have to apply that individually makes a lot of sense to do in one place rather than set up the event handler on each server.
reporting properly is a lot of work if you have to try and tie together stats from 10's if not hundreds of servers individually.
availability ! do you want to be informed of a system down by an irate user or be already on the case when they call ?

a few initial thoughts

hth