1777283 Members
2493 Online
109066 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380 - Future

GetItRight
Advisor

DL380 - Future

Wondering what the roadmap for the DL-380 servers is. Possibly not the place to ask this.

With all the nvme and surrounding components consuming less power, and being much smaller.

Will there be a day soon when the physical footprint of the rack server be the size of a cigar box?

4 REPLIES 4
Rama2
HPE Pro

Re: DL380 - Future

The future roadmap for servers aims to adapt to new technologies in order to meet customer needs.

The primary focus of this roadmap will be on creating servers that are energy-efficient, redundant, and scalable to accommodate evolving requirements.

While it's difficult to comment on whether servers will become as small as a cigar box, there is a clear intention to make them consume less space and be more space-efficient.

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
GetItRight
Advisor

I do appreciate the response. I've used G7 thru G9 versions of the DL-380.

i was reflecting on the progress of drives and lowering power requirements. My post could be contrued as flippant, but I do

see the drives aspect becoming more of a memory component, and see some opportunity to get the format smaller.

I'll guess I'll need new slides or checkout the blade hardware.

Love the new ILO on the G9 and appreciate the innovation.

Thanks again

Josephhardy
Occasional Visitor

It's possible that future rack servers could become more compact. However, achieving a "cigar box" size would depend on several factors, including thermal management, hardware density, and the specific requirements of data centers. It's likely that servers will continue to shrink in size, but the timeline for such a drastic reduction remains uncertain.

Rama2
HPE Pro

Thank you for sharing your experience with the DL-380 server versions from G7 to G9. Your insights are greatly appreciated!

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo