Servers - General
1754868 Members
5596 Online
108827 Solutions
New Discussion

Hot Smart Array P440ar RAID controller - Can I repaste it?

scotrod
Occasional Contributor

Hot Smart Array P440ar RAID controller - Can I repaste it?

Hey!

I have a homelab HPE ML350 GEN9 server that is fairly quiet and cool during the winter, but in summer time one of the fans spins up a lot, because of the RAID controller (Smart Array P440ar) that is running around ~70° Celsuis while the server is idle/not doing any heavy tasks in particular.

I installed a 40mm noctua 5v fan (used one of the USBs on the motherboard), but I managed to lower the temps with just 10 degrees, which was a lot, but still not enough for such a hot component.

As far as I know, this RAID has never been pulled out of the motherboard. I'm pretty new when it comes to server hardware, and I have no idea if the passive cooler can be repasted.

Can someone confirm if I can repaste it? I'd like to get a few opinions here, before going and disassembling it.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Hot Smart Array P440ar RAID controller - Can I repaste it?

Hello,

Before performing any changes to the configuration, please backup data and then consider updating the firmware of the server components. 

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

SydUmar_1
HPE Pro

Hello scotrod,

We do not recommend installing additional fans to the server apart from what has been installed. We would recommend that the server has been updated with the latest HPE Service Pack for Proliant (SPP)https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_ab56dbf228be4a80adfb576b2a and if the issue remains, please log a HPE Support ticket to address the issue. 

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
scotrod
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply! Could you explain why adding additional fan would be bad idea? The one I've added has lower the temps with a wooping 10 degrees, which may not be enough, but still is impressive.

About the software - since this is my homelab server, I have no warranty or support agreement covering in order to access this software:

Screenshot 2024-04-17 091020.png

SydUmar_1
HPE Pro

The fans installed in the server should be able to cater to the cooling requirements of the server. Unless the firmwares are extremely old or if it has a failed hard drive, failed fan, failed power supply module or an unsupported hardware installed.
Unfortunately, the SPP can only be downloaded if there's an active support contract on the server. You may log a support ticket to get the firmware levels checked and to validate if there are any failures being reported. 

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
scotrod
Occasional Contributor

The integrated fans are doing the job of cooling down the components - it's just that they need to span up to 25% during the summer in order to lower the temps. Anything over 19% is causing disturbance for me, since I'm in the same room as the server.

I am aware that the server has not been designed to sit in a living room, but this is how I use it for the purposes of learning.

Regarding the checks of firmware levels and failures reported - wouldn't that be visible from the iLo?

SydUmar_1
HPE Pro

Yes, iLO should help us with a high level firmware details of the server. But individual component firmware levels will only be captured in the AHS logs that can be generated through iLO (AHS logs). 

I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo