1748154 Members
3611 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Console switch J1474A problems

Lee Ball

HP Console switch J1474A problems

Hello,

I hope you can help, we have two console switches in our server room, both are the J1474a models and although I didn't set them up, they appear to be set up so that ports 1-7 on the first switch connect to servers, then port 8 on the first switch connects to the second switch and onwarsd.

I followed the wires to decide this, also, the person that set it up used ports 8.1 8.2 etc. So I guessed this was correct.

Now, we have been having problems with jumpy screen (may have solved this with firmware upgrade 5 minutes ago) but we cannot seem to connect to any server connected to the second console switch.

They just pop up with a message on screen saying "Port Not Cascaded". This used to be solved with a quick power off and on, but even that doesn't seem to work now.

Cannot find a guide or any reference to it online, cannot find a guide in my office either.

Also, when I upgraded the firmware before I could only do this for Console Switch 1, as when I connected my laptop to the Console switch 2 and put the console into Flash Upgrade mode it wouldn't send the file across.

I know that the first switch is the main device that the keyboard and monitor goes through, so is there a way for my to upgrade the firmware on the second switch?

Thanks

Lee
13 REPLIES 13
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

If the units are still under warranty, sounds like a swap out is in order for 1 or both units. The J1474A also had a service note action for the power supply: http://snserver.mayfield.hp.com/ServiceNotes/Snwebsite/SNDetail.asp?SNID=31506&SNNum=J1474A-02B&classIssueID=3068

Was the correct firmware used for the 2nd unit? There are 2 firmware versions available: http://h30140.www3.hp.com/object/j1473-4a_flash.html

If you need a copy of the user's guide, please provide email and I can send it to you. It's roughly 7MB file.

Thanks,
Steve
Lee Ball

I didn't update the firmware on the second console as I was unsure how to go about this as the keyboard and mouse seem to be plugged into the first one and then port 8 on the first switch comes down into the keyboard, monitor and mouse cables that come out of the second.

Do I have to use the second switch as I do the first to apply the firmware? Because it wouldn't upload it when I plugged in my serial cable into the second switch and set it to update, with either firmware versions.

Thanks for your offering the manul, but I managed to find it in the end. Nothing seems to refer to my problem though.

Thanks again, I shall check the warranty on them.

Lee
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

Yes, the 2nd switch has to be connected directly to the laptop, pc etc that has the firmware code.

Thanks,
Steve
Lee Ball

Thats how I had it, but I guess I have to take out the leads and use the Console 2 as if it was 1 then? Because as far as I can gather, having the mouse and keyboard leads coming out of the Console 1 doesn't work to update the firmware on the second.

Thanks again, I'll try and get chance to update the firmware today.

Have you ever experienced "Port not Cascaded" errors in the past?
Jeff Pratt_1

I'm looking for the user manual for my 8-Port Console Switch... J1474A. Can you assist. thanks.
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

Jeff,

Please post your email here so I can forward the user guide. The doc is too big to be posted on the forum.

Thanks,
Steve
Jeff Pratt_1

Thanks Steve. jpratt@signetdiagnostic.com
David Koch_3

Hi Steve,

Can you please email the J1474A user guide to me too? (Email: David.Koch@newcastle.edu.au) I'm struggling to find any documentation on this product on the HP site. Thanks in advance.
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

Jeff/David,

The manual is now on the web. Please go here and click on the first link from search results to download the PDF.

http://search.hp.com/query.html?hpvc=US+-+English&cc=usтМй=en&qt=J1474A+rack+solution&la=en

Thanks,
Steve