3837 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Part numbers

gerry egan
Occasional Contributor

HP Part numbers

Hello all!

I work with many HP products and frequently have to source spares, what I would like to know is what do the postfixes on the part numbers mean and does anyone have a reference for them? for example, today I ordered a disk for a server and on this disk there were several different part numbers, eg 286713-b22 and 289041-001 as well as a few other in that format,I normally use the part number ending in "-001" but some suppliers use other ones, can anyone explain the meaning of these postfixes?
3 REPLIES 3
Manuel Boosch
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP Part numbers

286713-b22 is the product part number and 289041-001 is the spare part number. with the spare part number u can identify every single hardware component. when u want to order NEW hardware from hp or a distributor u will always need the product part number.

when u want hp to replace DEFECTIVE hardware u will need the spare part number.

this make sense for example u buy an 8 gb ram kit with the option -b22 this kit contains 2 x 4 gb ram with different spare part number -001.

as i know -002 are mostly UPSs, -003 are streamers, lto and so on.

rest of hardware always has -001 (system board, cpu, ram, cards,etc...)

hope this helps, correct me if im wrong

regards

Manuel Boosch
Frequent Advisor

be careful as the new law for unleaded products came up, hp changed the spare part numbers of the same products. so it could be that u have the same product with different spare part numbers.
for example: 300 gb / 10k /U320 SCSI / 3,5" has spare 351126-001,

but unleaded the same hard disk has the spare 404701-001
Paul Jerrom
Valued Contributor

The rule is that as soon as customers get used to a naming convention then it all changes! Just like licenses...
Have fun,

Peejay
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If it can't be done with a VT220, who needs it?