New Discussion

Not using as a server

SOLVED
Go to solution
alanleez1968
Occasional Contributor

Not using as a server

hi everyone

im really new to HPE Servers but i dont really want to use one as a server more like a pc. i have been offered a DL850 8G 60Core.

The Provisioning system has failed on it so would i still be able to boot a O/S from the USB?

And also would it still be able to boot from a ssd that has a pre activated windows workstation on it

there is no drives with it etc as usual

many thanks

Alan

5 REPLIES 5
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Not using as a server

Hello,

It may not be possible to directly connect a Windows installed hard drive in the server and expect it to boot from it.

For the server to boot from a logical drive created on the installed hard drive, first, the logical drive has to be created a fresh by connecting it to the embedded "HPE Smart Array P830i/2G FBWC Controller" or any other HPE Smart Array Controller supported by this "HPE ProLiant DL580 Gen8 Server" in question. Once a RAID array is created from the connected drives, the operating system needs to be installed on it.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

alanleez1968
Occasional Contributor

but i have another one which did load windows 10 already loaded on ssd so when it booted it went though the windows installation as normal but the problem with W10 it will only allow one CPU to run i wasnt getting all 60 cores just showed up in task manager as socket 1 so i put windows pro on a USB and that booted and loaded as normal etc but this machine has no problems with the  Provisioning system, well i dont think it has as i have never used one before, so im getting in the post a ssd which has windows workstation installed on it which is activated apparently. so on the one i have i have it running on a piece of software on a USB running all the cores which is great.  but its the other one ive been offered at a cheap price which has this Provisioning system issue so i was hoping that even though it has this problem it would still boot what ever i put on a USB or boot from the ssd that im getting in the post if i slip it into a caddie im not bothered which way USB or SSD as long as it will still boot a O/S from either way.

Thanks

Alan

Mr_Techie
Frequent Advisor
Solution

@alanleez1968 

Alan, 

The HPE ProLiant DL850 is a high-end server designed for data center use and may not be the most suitable choice for use as a personal PC.

If the HPE DL850 with the provisioning system issue is similar to the one you already have that successfully booted Windows 10 from an SSD, there's a good chance you'll be able to boot an operating system from a USB drive or another SSD on the problematic server as well. The provisioning system primarily deals with the initial setup, configuration, and management of the server, but it should not prevent the server from booting an operating system from alternative storage devices.

I would say try

1. booting from USB

2. Booting from SSD.

Make sure, BIOS/UEFI settings are correctly configured to boot from the desired device. If the provisioning system issue doesn't impact the basic boot process, you should be able to install or run an operating system without major obstacles.

Keep in kind windows 10 might show only one CPU socket in Task Manager due to licensing limitations. Windows 10 Home supports up to one physical CPU, while Windows 10 Pro supports up to two physical CPUs. To fully utilize all 60 cores, you might need a Windows Server edition or a high-end Windows 10 variant like Windows 10 Pro for Workstations.]

I hope this helps! Let me know.. 

alanleez1968
Occasional Contributor

Thank You

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @alanleez1968,

That's Awesome! 

We are extremely glad to know your concern has been addressed. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo