1753772 Members
4955 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Rack and Power manager 1.1 - Running commands

Behap
Occasional Contributor

Rack and Power manager 1.1 - Running commands

I have now - after some trial nad error! - got Rack and Power Manager 1.1 up and running correctly and it all seems fine and does what I want it too...... however

I still have one problem...

I am trying to get it to run commands on specific servers before they shut down, I have successfully got this working BUT the only thing I can get to work like this is the windows calculator!
I am simply calling calc on the server as required (and shown in the manual) and it all works fine and dandy - I have now tried loads of other commands including notepad and batch files and allsorts but NOTHING else works??

HELP!!
1 REPLY 1
Bill Place_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: Rack and Power manager 1.1 - Running commands

Not all programs and applications are suitable to be executed as a process, especially programs that do not create their own environments. Command execution behavior varies by operating system, and, in general, commands to be executed should be put into a batch file or shell script depending on the operating system that will be executing the commands. Using a batch file or shell script gives you more control over the circumstances in which commands are executed and allows the commands to run in a copy of the environment.
When selecting commands to be executed in the batch file or script file, choose programs and processes that do not require user input or interaction. Since the commands can be executed at any time, it is difficult to predict if a user will be available to interact with any programs that are launched. Verify that specified drive mappings, user specific directories, and programs that require special rights are accessible by the batch file or script file.
Most operating systems have a method for spawning new processes. In Windows operating systems, commands can be preceded with START, and in most Linux/Unix systems, sh can be used. When designing your batch file or script file, determine which commands require a separate process and which commands can be run one after another in the same process. Refer to the documentation that came with your operating system for more information on batch files or script files.