5024 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SCSI Hard Disks

Caster Troy
Regular Advisor

SCSI Hard Disks

Dear All,
I have a computer with 1 IDE hard disk 40GB and one scsi disk 146GB connected with a scsi card. the operating system boots from the IDE hard disk. i want to add another 146GB scsi disk with this computer. when i try to connect it on the same scsi cable the system does not detect any of the scsi hard disks.
Evil Has Its Winning Ways
5 REPLIES 5
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Re: SCSI Hard Disks

Are you sure, that you have different SCSI ID on your SCSI disks?
regards,
Andrzej
Tv_3
Respected Contributor

This behavior occurs when there is a misconfiguration with your SCSI id's on the disks.

Probably they use the same ID or else the disk has the same ID of the Controller.

greeetzzz
Chaos, Panic or Disaster??? Always Stay Calm, I will fix it.
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

Your drives should have a set of gold pins. On the top of the drive there might be a illustration of how the pins are jumpered. Most controllers take id7. The first drive is most likely id0. When a drive is set at 0 then it will have no jumper.
You might have to go online to your drive manufacture for the settings.
Good luck.
Peter Rupp_2
Occasional Contributor

Dear Javed,

Having identical scsi id's set on drives on the same buss will definately cause this symptom, but so could an improperly terminated SCSI bus. Make sure you look at the manual that came with your disk to see how to terminate the last drive on the chain. Newer drives (probably what you have looking at the size of it) have auto-termination, but it's set by jumpers.
If you don't have documentation on your disk, you can usually get it online by going to the manufacturer's web-site or their 1-800 number...and the web support is especially good if the drive is a Seagate. Good luck.
Caster Troy
Regular Advisor

Thanx All,
The problem has eventually disappeared but thanx again for ur help.
Evil Has Its Winning Ways