1752790 Members
6079 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: UPS

Kuan Hau_1
Occasional Advisor

UPS

Ok here's a question which I have received mixed answers on and hopefully someone can clear this up:

Can you run a UPS in serial (so UPS A is only connected to UPS B, then from UPS B all the equipment is powered from there)? (i.e. mains-UPS{A}-UPS{B}-SeveralServers)

I heard that if you ran them in parallel there is a chance that you could cause cross phasing if the two UPS's ever connect...

3 REPLIES 3
Raj_75
Regular Advisor

Yes, you can connect UPS serialy. But UPS-A should provide sine wave out put. Otherwise UPS-B may go to the battery power.
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Kuan

Connecting UPS serially is not a standard practise. They should be connected in parallel with proper sync. In parallel they will do the load balancing and in the event of one UPS failure, other one can ccontinue to supply power. However, the assumption is that UPS capacities have been designed based on full load support on single UPS.

Regards
Mahesh
Kuan Hau_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the advice guys.

UPS A and UPS B have different KVA ratings. If they were run in serial then one could end up feeding the other. But if run in parallel would this cause an issue?

Thanks,
Kuan