New Discussion

Openflow HP ProCurve 6600-24g-4xg

SOLVED
Go to solution
gojkog21
Advisor

Openflow HP ProCurve 6600-24g-4xg

Hi,

I'm Msc student on faculty of electrical engineering. I have to create an OpenFlow testbed which might be consisted of more Openflow instances. So, could anyone tell me is it possible to configure one HP ProCurve 6600-24g-4xg switch to work as more Openflow switches which can communicate to each other, and be viewed by the controller as separated openflow switches (although it is one phisical openflow switch)??

I found that is possible to implement more openflow instances using virtualisation mode, but if I understood correctly they cannot be configured to communicate to each other...
On the other hand, I read one research paper where it seems that authors managed to make data center topology from a single HP procurve switch.

Can you provide me some hints about how can I do the same, or just give me any feedback so that I can know is that possible or not?

Thanks.

19 REPLIES 19
ShaunWackerly
HPE Pro

Re: Openflow HP ProCurve 6600-24g-4xg

Hi gojkog21,

When using virtualization mode on the 6600, you'll be able to associate 1+ vlans with an openflow instance, then configure multiple openflow instances per switch. Depending upon how you interpret "configured to communicate with each other", it may be possible.

In a software-defined network, there is a control-plane (controller-to-switch communication) and a data-plane (end-user to end-user communication). When end-user traffic flows from one vlan to another (such as when the OF switch is a router), that will effectively make traffic flow from one OF instance to another (if those vlans are in different instances). From the controller's standpoint, the controller can also issue a packet-out message on one instance and it will receive a packet-in message from another instance (if the vlans are connected together). In this way, instances can communicate with eachother (send packets) over the data-plane.

Instances on the same switch will not communicate with eachother over the control-plane, since doing so would be non-optimal because they are implemented on the same switch CPU.

Does this answer your question? If not, could you please provide more specifics?

Shaun

I am an HPE Employee
gojkog21
Advisor

Hi ShaunWackerly

First of all I want to say thank you, because your answer helped me!

I've created 5 VLANs, then assigned ports to that VLANs, and created 5 OF instances (every OF instance have 1 VLAN). When I connect switch with controller, it can see 5 instances. Hosts, which are connected on different instances, can communicate each other , but there is a problem: Controller gives a next error:

Error: OFPFMFC_EPERM (2)

I'm using pox controller, and I think that my controller wants to make flow entries in flow table 0, but hp doesn't give a permission for that.

Can you tell me your opinion about that problem, please?

All the best,

Gojko

ShaunWackerly
HPE Pro

Hi gojkog21,

It is expected behavior that you're unable to write a flow to table 0. The only flow that HPE/Aruba switches allow in table 0 is a flow which matches all packets and uses a GOTO_TABLE instruction. We did this because when you change the pipeline-model (we have standard, ip-control, and custom) then it will change the first table in the pipeline. You can also enable other tables using the "openflow instance X dst-mac-grp-table" and "openflow instance X src-mac-grp-table" commands.

HPE/Aruba wanted static numbering between the standard and ip-control, so to achieve that we implemented table 0 being a branch point, rather than an actual forwarding table (to remain spec compliant).

Assuming you are using the standard pipeline-model, you'll want to write all of your flows into table 100. However, be sure to adhere to what the switch reports in its TABLE_FEATURES reply, which is where the supported matches and instructions are detailed by the switch. If anything is not supported in table 100, you may need to write to table 200 (which is a software-based table with more features but much lower performance).

Shaun

I am an HPE Employee
Abhay_B
Valued Contributor

Hi Gojko,

You can also change the table number for Policy Table from its default value of 100 to 0.

Please find the syntax to do the same.

switch(config)# openflow instance <instance-name> table-num policy-table 0

If your controller is installing a flow that cannot be accomodated in the Policy Table, then you can set the S/W table to be first table in the OpenFlow pipeline. It offers extra set of match and action capabilities at considerabily lower performance (a maximum of 10000pps).

Please find the syntax to do the same. 

switch(config)# openflow instance <instance-name> table-num sw-table-1 0

You can find more details on page 20 of the OpenFlow Administrator Guide for 16.02 release.

Thanks!

Abhay

gojkog21
Advisor

Hi 

policy-table 0

ShaunWackerly
HPE Pro

Hi Gojko,

Which version of firmware are you using? I believe Abhay's response above was assuming you were using a relatively recent firmware release. Our latest release is 16.02, so if you download that then you should see the 'table-num' option available.

Shaun

I am an HPE Employee
gojkog21
Advisor

Hi Shaun,

I've updated firmware to K_15_18_0013. Now I can see table-num option, but when I try to change policy-table to 0, there arrived message: inconsistent number. 

I have other problems after upgrading firmware. Now I can't use telnet remote access unitl I login using serial connection and ping my lap top from switch first. The other problem is that hosts which are connected on the same, or different instances can't comunicate each other.  On old firmware that was possible.

Any solutions for that, please??

Gojko

Abhay_B
Valued Contributor

Hi Gojko,

Can you please try an "erase startup-config" on the switch for resolving the "Inconsistent number" issue..

Also, can you please share the output of the "show openflow instance <name> flows" command to investigate the issue with hosts not being able to talk to each other.

Thanks!

Abhay

gojkog21
Advisor

Hi,

I've tried with erasing startup config, and I can type command for changing table-num.... But there is a lot of problems now.

I removed all instances, and create only one. I've connected 2 hosts on that instance, but thay can't communicate each other. I'll attach you error, which I see on my controller, and packet which I recorded on Wireshark. Controller can't create flow table in my switch, exactly it creates flow with action 'output port 65531 or 65535'.

This is result of show config command:

HP-6600ml-24G-4XG# show config
Startup configuration: 4

; J9264A Configuration Editor; Created on release #K.15.18.0013
; Ver #0d:10.00.34.00.24.6b.ff.f7.fc.7f.ff.3f.ef:c2
hostname "HP-6600ml-24G-4XG"
module 1 type j86wwa
module 3 type j92zza
snmp-server community "public" unrestricted
openflow
controller-id 1 ip 10.0.0.3 controller-interface vlan 1
instance "vlan10"
member vlan 10
controller-id 1
enable
exit
enable
exit
vlan 1
name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
no untagged 1-4
untagged 5-24,25-28
ip address 10.0.0.4 255.255.255.0
exit
vlan 10
name "VLAN10"
untagged 1-4
no ip address
exit

Flow table for that instance is in attach.

Any ideas??

All the best,

Gojko