8548 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Testing Issue with HP VAN SDN Controller 2.3.5

aalgohary
Occasional Advisor

Testing Issue with HP VAN SDN Controller 2.3.5

Hi,

I have an issue when I'm trying to deploy applications for test. I disabled verifying signed Jar files by doing the following 2 steps:

(1) Modifying the /opt/sdn/virgo/bin/dmk.sh script and adding "-Dsdn.signedJar=none" in "JMX_OPTS".

(2) Setting  com.hp.sdn.adm.mgr.impl.AppManager.verifyZips to flase in HP SDN Controller Console.

and I was able to deploy the applications successfully but the issue is that when I try to run a mininet topology to test against, I receive the following message:

"Unable to contact the remote controller at <controller ip>:6633"

Even restarting the services "sdnc and sdna" doesn't solve it. I had to reinstall the controller again.

Any suggestions to solve this issue?

BR,

Ahmad

11 REPLIES 11
sdnindia
Trusted Contributor

Re: Testing Issue with HP VAN SDN Controller 2.3.5

Hello Ahmad,

Since the issue occurs when you try to run the mininet topology , so please share the command you are running for mininet.

Also you have re-installed the controller , are you still facing the same issue?

Before starting mininet, could you please try to ping the Controller IP and check whether it is working?

You can check if Controller is listening on port 6633 using below command

netstat -nl | grep 6633

Thanks,

HP SDN Team

aalgohary
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

Currently I'm not facing this issue but sometimes it appears wihtout changing anything. Sometimes restarting sdna and sdnc solves the problem and sometimes not. But now it's working fine.

The mininet command I'm using is:

sudo mn --mac --controller=remote,ip=192.168.186.128 --topo=tree,depth=2,fanout=2

Thanks,

Ahmad

sdnindia
Trusted Contributor

Hello Ahmad,

Doing a follow up to check if you need any further assistance with respect to the query posted.
Please do let us know  if your problem is solved.

If you have more questions on the same topic please do reply on the same thread or open a new post if new topic.

Thanks,
HP SDN Team

aalgohary
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

Yes, the problem has been solved but subjected to occur again. If so, I will reply on the same thread. My appreciation for your help.

BR,

Ahmad Al Gohary

kykof

Hi,

I have observed the same problem. Sometimes (for example after restarting server which runs controller) the mininet is unable to connect to controller. Multiple restart of sdnc/sdna solve it.

Krystof

Andrezero
Occasional Visitor

Hi, I am having the same issue. Some times I can not connecto to the controller. I am using mininet.

Please help.

Scott_Koster
Advisor

Can I ask that you please update your environments to the 2.7.10 release?  We've made a lot of improvements to everything in the many releases sense 2.3.5 as well as delivering a VMware OVA installation package. 

Please see this link for download options:

https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/Downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=J9863AAE

Please report back if you're still having trouble with mininet after upgrade.

Cheers,

-Scott

Scott Koster | Technical Marketing Engineer
HPE Aruba
ShaunWackerly
HPE Pro

When using mininet and the VAN controller, always make sure that the mininet topology is not looped when the controller setting is hybrid.mode=true. This would occur even with the latest releases of VAN, but only in looped topologies (the 'tree' topology referenced above is not looped).

Detailed description follows ...

The hybrid.mode=true setting means that the VAN controller will delegate traditional forwarding decisions and topology calculations to the controlled switches, rather than doing specific path-paving itself. This is done to take advantage of the decades of forwarding logic built into switching ASICs. This means that VAN will rely upon spanning-tree or other data-plane protocols to resolve loops in the topology, so that VAN can focus on directing packets related to installed SDN applications (DNS, Lync, etc).

Since mininet does not resolve looped topologies on its own, this causes mininet to loop all packets when VAN is configured with hybrid.mode=true ... mininet assumes the controller will resolve the loop, and the VAN controller delegates that decision back to mininet.

Here's a technical paper which gives the conceptual motivations for hybrid.mode=true:

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA5-6738ENW&cc=us&lc=en

I am an HPE Employee
Andrezero
Occasional Visitor

I was using HPE SDN VAN Controller 2.5.20 the controller is installed on a virtual machine. The problem is that when I run
netstat -nl | grep 6633. Sometimes it is listening and sometimes it does not. When it is listening mininet can connect to the controller easily.

I tried HPE SDN VAN Controller 2.7.10 and I have the same problem.