Software Defined Networking
1753529 Members
5031 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Unable to get hosts to communicate with each other in SDN fabric

Kaage

Unable to get hosts to communicate with each other in SDN fabric

I have four HP5900 switches and HP VAN SDN Controller deployed.

Switches are configured according to "HP 5900 OpenFlow Configuration Guide" and they are succesfully connected to the controller. They are physically connected to each other redundantly. Openflow configuration in switches:

openflow instance 10
      controller mode single
      in-band management vlan 131
      classification vlan 10 mask 0 loosen
      controller 1 address ip 10.206.142.15

I'm unable to get traffic forwarded between Host1 and Host2 which are connected to switches and switchports are seen as Openflow ports in controller. Hosts are in the same subnet but they aren't seen each other in ARP table. Switchports towards hosts are configured like this:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
      port link-mode bridge
     port access vlan 10
      undo lldp enable

I can see flow entries in flow tables regarding correct SRC and DST MAC-addresses.

Controller is not running in Hybrid mode, as I wan't to do all forwarding with Openflow.

I'm also using Inband Management VLAN - feature and it seems to work well. There is spanning-tree enabled only in Management VLAN. Switches have all the time connection to controller.

What might be my problem? Are you able to point me to right direction?

1 REPLY 1
sdnindia
Trusted Contributor

Re: Unable to get hosts to communicate with each other in SDN fabric

Hello Kaage,

Please let us know the below-

1.Did you try to increase the "arp.age" time under the "com.hp.sdn.ctl.nodemgr.impl.NodeManager" configuration?

Increasing that value should cause the nodes/hosts to stick around longer in the controller's ARP cache.

2.Are you able to see “Topology view and Node Manager”?

If you are using OpenFlow 1.0, then what mode is the OpenFlow instance on your 5900's set to? If it's set to 'passive' then that would explain why the controllers are not seeing ARP reply packets from the switches. The 'passive' setting means that the switch will handle all packets by default, where the 'active' setting means that the controller will handle all packets by default.

Also please note that Currently, the controller 2.2(with hybrid.mode=false) does not support direct communication with controlled switches.[ for details please see HP VAN SDN Controller 2.2 Release Notes- Issues and suggested Actions on page 4 and page 6 for arp-age setting ]

Please let us know if this helps.

Thanks,

HP SDN Team