4242 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Add new disks to a StoreEasy 14x0

jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Add new disks to a StoreEasy 14x0

Hi

I have a StoreEasy 1440 with 4 x 4TB internal disks. I plan to add an external disk shelf with more SATA drives in. The 4 x 4TB internal disks were configured as a single storage pool with the OS and 2 x volumes (D:\ and E:\).

I need to extend the D:\ volume but don't believe I can do this by using the disks in the enclosure - can someone confirm that a storage pool cannot consist of internal disks AND disks from the external enclosure?

I also have a couple more questions for the external disks (the disks in the enclosure):

1) Can I create a storage pool with just two disks in a RAID1 or is the minimum number of disks in any storage pool 4?

2)What is the impact of creating a storage pool with both 4TB and 3TB disks included? Are the 4TB disks formatted down to 3TB?

many thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Add new disks to a StoreEasy 14x0

You should go through this document and this can help to get your answers,

http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1031687072.pdf

In order to create Arrays you can use HP Storage Pool Manager or else ACU (Array Configuration Utility)

From the above guide Page no 54 below line mentioned,

"NOTE: If one hard drive has a larger capacity than other hard drives in the same array, the extra
capacity is wasted because it cannot be used by the array."

Also look at the below line from same guide,

"It is important to note that a LUN may span all physical drives within a storage controller subsystem,
but cannot span multiple storage controller subsystems."

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Hi

OK - thanks for the guidance

Here is my understanding having read the user guide and the quick specs - please tell me if Im wrong.

The 1440 has a P222 be default and the quickspecs says (on page 11) that the P22 has:

HP Smart Array
P222/512 FBWC
6Gb 1-port Int/1-
port Ext SAS
Controller

It's unclear if "1-port Int/1- port Ext" means 1-port Internal AND 1-port External or if it means 1-port Internal OR 1-port External but I'll play it safe and guess at it meaning 1-port Internal OR 1-port External - soI won't be able to expand the existing interna array to disks within the external shelf.

Secondly, as the ACU can work with RAID 1 volumes then I am able to configure the 2 x SSDs in the shelf as a RAID 1  volume - so all is good there.

I understand that if I create a new array with both 4TB disks and 3TB disks included that the 4TB disks will only use 3TB of space but my scenario is that I have an existing array using 4TB disks and I want to expand this using 3TB disks - will the addition of these disks cause the array to re-level the data so that data is moved off the 4TB disks so the occupancy of these disks reduces to 3TB?

thanks again for your help.

cheers

You should check P222 quickspec and refer Page no 3 "Capacity",

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04111474

"1-port Int/1- port Ext" means 1-port Internal AND 1-port External 

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo