StoreEasy Storage
1745837 Members
4059 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CPQ NAS 1000 missing backup partition

CA1096923

CPQ NAS 1000 missing backup partition

Is there a way to recover a lost backup partition?

Here is the scenario of events leading up to my situation.

When troubleshooting an issue with the box, a technician decided to start from scratch by running the FACTORY utility from the backup partition. The process started and to the best of my knowledge, completed successfully.

Details are sketchy from here. What I can tell you is that the PRIMARY boot partition boots fine, I can terminal into the box and when I look at disk manager, I see a C drive w/ NTFS (which is the Primary drive); a D drive w/ no file system (but states that it is healthy); and the E drive w/ NTFS (which of course is the Raid 5 set). When I try to browse to drive D, it gives the standard error stating drive is not valid. If I try to boot to the Backup partition, I get a BSOD stating Inaccessible Boot Device.

I know I can format the drive using NTFS, but I am concerned about any utilities that would have been stored on that partition. Is there a way to get this partition back to original settings?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: CPQ NAS 1000 missing backup partition

Kevin,

I don't have any experience with the NAS boxes, but I thought that they come with a restore CD-ROM. It might help you to recover from this problem. Let us know if and how you succeeded!
CA1096923

Uwe,

Thanks for the response, but I don't think your info is correct. The only CD we received with this server is a Documentation CD, which has very little info on this type of problem. The only real utility on the CD is one that will help you "Discover" your NAS box on the network.

Bottom line, it is Not like any other typical server. My little knowledge on this device is that it is supposed to be self sufficient. The box has 4 ATA drives set up with the following partition structure. Each drive has a 5GB partition. These partitions are then mirrored in the following manner... Drive 0 and 2 are mirrors of each other and are named Primary. Drives 1 and 3 are mirrors of each other and are named something like Backup. The rest of the drives contents are then combined into a Raid 5 set.

When the other technician was working on this box, he was able to boot to the Backup partition (on drives 1 and 3) and run the factory reset utility. What exactly it does, I'm not sure, but I believe that it wipes out the contents of the primary partition (on drives 0 and 2) then rebuilds the OS from an image stored on the backup partiton.

What has happened is somewhere during the rebuilding phase, something happened to the Backup partion on both drives 1 and 3. It is no longer detected as having a file system. I can boot to drives 0 and 2 (the primary boot partition) with no problem. But, when attempting to boot to drives 1 and 3, I get the wonderful BSOD mentioned in my first post.

I know that I could probably fairly easily ghost the boot partition over to the backup partion, but I would rather have the drives the way they came from the factory.

Thanks again for your help.
Best Regards.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Kevin,
thanks for the info about the 'missing' restore CD. I would ask HP support if they can assist you to restore that partition.