New Discussion юеВ

Re: Storage Server 2003 R2 folder c:/windows/backup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Colin_R
Occasional Contributor

Storage Server 2003 R2 folder c:/windows/backup

Hi,

We have a HP Proliant DL160 G5 with Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 SP2. In the c:/windows directory is a folder called Backup, which we can not open or backup. When opening the folder we receive the error "..Refers to a location that is unavailable....". When looking at the properties of the folder its type is Mounted Volume, target Unlabeled Volume.

Can anyone tell me more about this folder; also can I safely remove the folder?
Many thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Monty Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Hi Colin,

The C:\Windows\backup is a mount point used by the 5GB "Don't Erase" disk. ON a standard DL160 G5 WSS image, we create 2 drives. A 30GB OS drive and a 5Gb "Don't Erase" drive. This Don't Erase drive is used when a QR of the server is done and if it exists at the time of QR, helps make the QR process faster. If it does not exist, it will be created with the QR DVD that you boot from.

The fact that it says it is ab unlabeled volume, makes me wonder if this 5GB disk exists still. Check disk manager to check.

It is not critical to the operation of your server but as said earlier, it will be re-created if you ever end up Quick Restoring your server.

Hope that helps.
Colin_R
Occasional Contributor

Hi Monty,

Many thanks for your response, very much appreciated.
I have checked the disk manager and NO 5gb DON'T ERASE drive, just confirming that if we need to restore the 5gb drive would be created? In the meantime OK to delete the folder as it is causing errors with our backup (I have removed the folder from the selection list but it is being included in the system state portion) as this would be recreated with the restore.

Many thanks
Colin
Monty Phillips
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Colin,

That is correct. If you run the Quick Restore DVD, it will recreate the 5Gb "Don't Erase" drive. Now, I'm positive you know this, but just to be clear, if you run the Quick Restore DVD it will also blow away and recreate the 30GB OS drive as well as re-create the 5GB driven and set things back to factory default.

So, there is no rush or need to worry about or re-create the 5GB drive. Feel free to delete that backup folder.

In fact, in our latest X-series Storage servers (these are based on Windows Storage Server 2008) we got rid of this Don't Erase drive concept and just have a 40GB OS drive.

Thanks,
Monty
Jeff Horvath

Have a DL160 G5 with Storage Server 2003 R2 that appears to have an OS corruption. The automatic recovery does not work as well. Tried to run the Quick Restore however the prompts are advising that the CD is not compatible with our unit. It is in fact the same DVD that was used when setting up the unit. Was told to delete the 1 and 2 logical drive and let QR recreate them. In controller bios the error is that am unable to delete logical drive 1 or 2. Any ideas?