108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: StoreEasy 1640 with Smart Array P822 controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
ek_kmbs
Occasional Collector

StoreEasy 1640 with Smart Array P822 controller

Have StoreEasy 1640 with a P822 array controller. Has two logical drives. Array A is a Raid1 with two 300GB drives. Array B is Raid 6 with eight 4TB drives. Added another 4TB drive and expanded Array B. After the Arrary was expanded it shows the new 4.6TB as unsed but also added a new 15MB logical drive that is Raid 6. Is this normal when adding a drive to Raid 6 array? Is it OK to extend the logical drive 2 with the unused 4.6 TB and leave logical drive 3 as is?

6 REPLIES 6

It seems Array B not expanded with the new 4TB drive. Can you please recheck that if the new 4TB drive part of Array B or not?

It's possible that new 4TB drive already having some other system configuration which is getting reflected automatically otherwise it's impossible that new logical drive gets created automatically.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
ek_kmbs
Occasional Collector

Thank you for the reply. Would it be possible for me to send you a
screenshot of the array configuration? I'm sure my explanation of the drive
addition may be a little confusing.

Sincerely,
Ed Kilianski
Lead Systems Engineer
Konica Minolta Business Solutions U.S.A., Inc.
101 Williams Drive Ramsey, NJ 07446
Office: 201-785-2477
Visit us: Count on Konica Minolta

Disclaimer

Sure go ahead but make sure you mask serial number if anything visible in the screenshot.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
ek_kmbs
Occasional Collector

Hello Subhajit,

Thanks. So the original configuration for Array B was 1 logical drive named Logical Drive 2 that was composed of (8) 4TB physical drives in a Raid 6 configuration. I installed a new 4TB drive in the server in the next slot and selected the Expand Array option in the Array Configuration GUI. Once the Expand Array completed there was the new 4.6TB unused space. In addition, another logical drive was created. I'm not sure what the 15MB drive is and why it was created as Logical Drive 3 or as Raid 6. The only step executed was the Expand Array. What I also find strange is the new physical drive looks like it has been added to Logical Drive 2. When I look at pool manager it shows the configuration as 9 drives (second screenshot).ACU.png
PM.png

So my questions are:
1. Is it safe to Extend Logical Drive 2 with the 4.6TB unassigned? 
2. Why was Logical Drive 3 created? 
3. Should I delete Logical Drive 3?
4. I want to ultimately add three more 4TB drives. Is the Array Configuration Utility the correct method for adding drives?
5. Should I shrink Array B back to the 8 drives and use a different method to add the drive?

Thanks
Solution

From screenshot it will be difficult to say actual thing but as per the information received from you it seems drive no 9 contains some other system information which is reflecting now after you have added it to the Array B because it's not possible that logical can be created automatically. On the other hand 15MB logical drive looks strange as well. 

You can delete this 15MB logical drive and move on.

Do you remember what was the Usable capacity of Array B before expand with the new drive? right now it shows 27.3TB so from this you can understand how much space got increased

If this new drive contains any more information then it should have been reflected like Logical drive 3 but apart from Logical drive 3 we don't see any other logical drives.

You can also log support case with HPE to get official support on the same.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
ek_kmbs
Occasional Collector

Thank you for the reply. As you mentioned I would guess the new HDD were pulls as oppsed to brand new. That is most likley where the small 15MB drive is from. I will delete it and move on. Thanks again