StoreEver Tape Storage
1754296 Members
3066 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

72GB??? Bad Product

Sam_130

72GB??? Bad Product

It should not call DAT72, its confusing customer, I thought I can store 72GB data but it only turns out with 36GB, and the reason is because the files are already compressed, no more compression can be done, this is really sad, so I should use this NEW HP product (DAT72) with old OS version or old files system, in order to make the word "DAT72" works.
2 REPLIES 2
BR19682
Esteemed Contributor

Re: 72GB??? Bad Product

Hi there.
This shall be no offense.
Is it possible, that you have missed something gathering info about the product ?
These issues are normally mentioned in the technical feature sheets or tehcnical data for the different tape products.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
CA843380
Valued Contributor

Re: 72GB??? Bad Product

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your feedback.

Data compression can only do so much. Any form of compression works by removing redundancy. If your data is already compressed then there is little redundancy remaining for the tape drive comrpession algorithm to remove and hence very little compression will occur.

As to your comment regarding "not calling it DAT72", well it clearly states in the specs etc that this figure assumes 2:1 compression and it also states that native capacity is 36GB.

It is industry standard to quote a 2:1 compression ratio on tape drives with hardware compression, although I do appreciate that in many cases with the plethora of compressed data types typical on average systems nowadays many users do not acheive a 2:1 compression ratio.

Cheers,

Dave Dewar