1755047 Members
3498 Online
108828 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Are DDS2 and 3 backwards compatible?

Debbie Fleith
Regular Advisor

Are DDS2 and 3 backwards compatible?

Our DDS 4GB tape drive died on our in-house development server this week and I'm looking for a replacement.

We are a software developer and HP reseller. We need to keep tape compatibility with our customer's tape drives, needing to read their tapes and also send them updates made from our tape drive.
Right now, we have customers with DDS, DDS2 tape drives, and future customers will have DDS3 tape drives.

If we purchase a DDS2 or DDS3 drive, would they both be backwards compatible for DDS? i.e. Will our customers with a DDS drive be able to read tapes we make on a DDS2 or DDS3 drive and will we be able to read tapes made from either a DDS or DDS2 drive on a DDS3 drive?

P.S. This thread has been moevd from general to Tape Backup (Small and Medium Business). - Hp forum moderator

7 REPLIES 7
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Re: Are DDS2 and 3 backwards compatible?

Hello,

Yes, DDS3 is backwar-compatible with DDS2 and DDS, and DDS2 is backward compatible with DDS.

This means it can read AND write on DDS or DDS2 tapes.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Debbie Fleith
Regular Advisor

We've had many issues with tape compatibility.

If they are backwards compatible, do I need to configure different devices for each compression type under HP-UX for them to be compatible?

Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

The tapes need to be DDS3 tapes or lower in order for them to be read on DDS3. Same for DDS2.

You cannot read DDS3 tapes on DDS2 tape drives. You cannot read DDS2 or DDS3 tapes on DDS tapes drives.

Tape Drives RULE!!!
Marco Hogeveen
Honored Contributor

Debbie,

That won't work.
Tapes made in a DDS2 or DDS3 drive cannot be read in a DDS1 drive.
I've attached a matrix with all tapes and tapedrives. It shows which tape fits in which drive, some are only readonly.

Hope this helps
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

It depends on the tape cartidge written onto really.

If you write on DDS3 using a DDS2 cartidge, this CAN be read on a DDS2 drive.
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Debbie Fleith
Regular Advisor

So, for clarification, if we buy a DDS3 drive, the default device under HP-UX is the only device we would need to use.

We just need to make sure we have DDS and DDS2 tapes on-hand, and when making tapes, use the same compression tape that our customer's tape drive handles.

Right?
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Yes, that's right.
Tape Drives RULE!!!