4618 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup Issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Natasha Wirth

Backup Issue

hi i've got a HP StorageWorks Ultrium 920 tape drive and I'm trying to determine where my backup issue lies. I cannot seem to backup more than 420GB even though I'm using 400/ 800GB tapes...should compression on the tape drive be set in a specific way?
5 REPLIES 5
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor
Solution

the drive uses hardware compression be default. Make sure you d not have software compression set. could it be the data you are backing up is already compressed? You cannot compress it more if that is the case.
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
Natasha Wirth

Thanks for that. We're backing up dwg, framemaker and jpg files. Is the hardware compression not 'clever' enough to differentiate betw the compressed files and uncompressed ones? Therese currently no software compression, nor any NTFS compression
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Here is an excellent document that explains compression. Hardware compression is favored over software compression.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50460
Natasha Wirth

Hi there, I've tried a number of different configs (no compression, hardware only compression and software only comrpession). None of them let me backup more than 432GB still onto the tape. Is there something else I can try? Actually looking at tape capacity its giving me 391GB max which I know is untrue as I'm backing up successfully to 431GB, just when it reaches 432GB is when it crashes
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

download Libray and Tape Tools diagnostic from this site.Make sure you have removable storage service stopped as well as your backup software service. Install this tool and you can test your drive to see what compression you are getting.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=406731&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=406729&prodTypeId=12169