StoreEver Tape Storage
1754359 Members
4563 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

Colorado 14GB - Win98-Win2KPro conversion - can't catalog

CA777178

Colorado 14GB - Win98-Win2KPro conversion - can't catalog

I have a Colorado 14GB tape drive which was originally installed under Win 98 with Colorado II software.

My machine was upgraded to Win2KPro; hardware exactly as was, but software totally stripped out and re-built.

We couldn't see how to re-install Colorado II, so tape drive now runs under Win2K's own backup software with upgraded drivers.

New backups work fine, but it seems to be unable to read old tapes made under Win 98 and Colorado II, and there are a few old files I'd like to get back.

If I try the normal 'restore' it works the tape drive for ages and finally says that there is an inconsistency and gives up. If I ask it to create a new catalog, it says it can't find anything on the tape. I've tried two Win 98/Colorado II tapes with the same result.

Question 1: Can I load Colorado II software under Win2K, and if so, how? CD refuses to do so, saying it is not designed to work under W2K.

Question 2: Alternatively, is there some way to persuade Win2Ks backup software to read Colorado II tapes?

Luckily I had also backed up all key files on Zip disks; otherwise this message might have been a little more fraught!

Thanks, John Martin