StoreEver Tape Storage
1756541 Members
2267 Online
108848 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DLT cleaning interval

Van_2

DLT cleaning interval

I thought documentation would be much easier to find on this but I can't come up with any. What is the recommended cleaning interval for DLT drives? I'm looking for an "hours of service" interval rather than a time period. Any help would be much appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
CA277578
Advisor

DLT drives checks the drives themself as to when they need to be cleaned. And according to HP should only be cleaned when the dirty light comes on:
This document references images not found in this repository. The complete document can be found at:
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg75091.html

HP Surestore Tape Libraries and Autoloaders - Cleaning the Drive(s)

DLT drives should only be cleaned if the CLEAN DRIVE icon is displayed on the tape library/autoloader status bar. Only use the appropriate
DLT cleaning cartridges for DLT drives. In general, replace DLT cleaning cartridges after 20 uses. Marking the label on the cleaning
cartridge after each use will help keep track of the number of uses.

CAUTION: Excessive use of the cleaning cartridge can cause unnecessary wear on the drive head. The tape library/autoloader
front panel will display a message when the DLT cleaning cartridge needs to be replaced.

=======================
Now depending on what backup software your using...you can enable dirty drive detetection and have the drive cleaned automatically, such as what OmniBack software provides.

Rgrds,
Rit
..enough said..
CA592260
Frequent Advisor

I agree with Rita, but you could also follow the "hours of service", which should be listed with your DLT cleaning tape.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die