1755322 Members
3490 Online
108831 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Error 1040: No devices specified or all devices are now offline

TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Re: Error 1040: No devices specified or all devices are now offline

Since the tape is erased or blank then dpe will format the tape automatically before the job starts writing, if you want to format the tape then make sure you move this formated tape to the location where dpe looks for media in your specific job

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Manfred Wilke

Hey Pablo, tks for your help, and sorry for my bad english.

But i already have some doubts (yeah, yeah, i know: "how dumb is this guy?").

Example: Lets say i just finished a write job in some tape, and it was writed OK (checked via DPE job log).

If i run a "test" or "veryfy" job in this media, all works fine too.

I understand that this media was formated, and is now (obviously) not empty.

So, why its needed to erase this media before run a "write job" in this same media again, if this "write job" will format the media anyway (via its options, like i said before)?

("format" to me means "prepare" a media to be writable again, INCLUDING erasing its data)

It is not a "double" erase? (If i'm wrong, i swear i give up, hehe).

Tks.
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

You dont really need to erase the media before the job runs this is just a fix that works most of the time. Heres the deal:

DPE looks for media on an expecific location ex: home/admin/backupjob if there is no media in here then dpe will look for a blank media then format this media and write to it, the media now will be place in that same location.

If you run a 2nd backup job with this mase media then dpe will look for media here:
home/admin/backup2

the media loaded is on a diferent location than this therefore dpe will complain with error 1400 or 1401.

Check Jobs and media and device / medio on your backup job properties.

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Lu Heuro

the same problem, even i erase the tape, the error code: 1040 still comes. tried many ways:
restart the server;
erase the tape;
test device is okay....
problem stills there...
geixer

Hi Pablo,

I had the same problem and I did as you said: erase the tape.

At the moment I have scheduled an Erase Job 30min before the Backup Job. It works but I still do not understand why I have to do it.

I have reviewed the backup properties, Devide/Media. In "Media to be used" and "Auto format" I have this location:
Home\reservoir\Full Backup - Rotation Media\Daily Rotation Media\Daily Set 2

The last part of the path "Daily Rotation Media\Daily Set 2" changes according to the backup schedule.

Why DPE cannot find the tape there? Where I can specify that when I load a tape it will be placed in an specific location?

In "Media to be used" should I add more locations so DPE will look for a tape in all of them?

Thanks for your valuable help.

Carlos
Andr├й Noordermeer
Frequent Advisor

There is one other thing to consider.

errors 1400/1401
If you have a rotation schema set, than DPX will follow this exactly and expect you to insert tapes in exact that sequence.
If you and DPX get out of sync, then DPX expects one tape, you inserted another and DPX will complain.
For a start you could try running initially without any rotation scheme set in DPX. Just use the calendar to schedule the jobs and have the "Format before..." tick mark. You do the rotation scheme now manually. Most of the times that solves these errors.

Error 1040
Occasionally (like 2-3 times a year) I experience disconnects/reconnects of the tape USB device in WS2008. I have the feeling this happens during windows or HP updates, don't really know.
Afterwards the tape device looks present in Device Manager, but DPX still cannot find it.
Most of the time by disabling and reenabling the tape device in Device Manager will fix this. If not a reboot will.
geixer

I tried to do a normal scheduled backup (no rotation sets) and I got the same error.

As I said if I erase the tape and then do the backup (with or without rotation) there is no problem so the software and the hardware are working ok.

I guess everytime DPE do a backup the tapes are marked with the "Set X" (according to the rotation system in the schedule) so if the sets of the tape and the schedule are not the same I get an error.

I will try to erase all the tapes and let you know what happens.
geixer

After some time trying things these are the results. I hope it helps more people:

- Everytime that a scheduled backup cannot be done (because the PC or the software or the service are off) it is placed like in a "queue" and DPE will try to make it as soon as somebody put a tape. DPE will use the Rotation Set of the job in the queue (if set) so if I do not erase the tape before doing the backup I get the error 1401. It also modify the rotation set in the schedule so even if you set Monday to be the "Daily Set 1", after this happens Monday could be the "Daily Set 3" or any other.

- The trick of scheduling an Erase Job before the Backup Job works perfectly. Since the Erase Job delete the "rotation set mark" in the tape, I no longer need to schedule any rotation in the software: a normal daily backup is enough.

See you.

Jootje
Visitor

Error 1040: No devices specified or all devices are now offline

Hello,

I've got the same problem with my back-up after the server crashed.

Know the server workes good, but only the back-up doesn't.

It stops after about 70 % and then gives error 1040.

I don't know what to do anymore.

I have data express 4.0 sp1

Please help.....