New Discussion юеВ

Firmware Update for C5683A hangs

BR688959

Firmware Update for C5683A hangs

Platform:
W2K Server SP2
HP C5683A DSS
Problem:
during firmware update with latest Tape&Tool Libary the process hangs in the middle of the progress bar, now waiting about 30mins and nothing happens. Can i stop the process without killing the dat or what can i do?
6 REPLIES 6
meloni
Honored Contributor

Re: Firmware Update for C5683A hangs

hi
some time the progression bar hang, after 30 minuts you can savely stop or kill the process, if the firmware has corrupted anyway there is no way to manualy recover on line the situation.
Probably the firmware has been updated anyway and only the tool didn't indicate this.
Remember also that if you are using W2K usualy you need to reboot your server in order to recognize again the unit in removable storage

bye
marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
CA628575
Trusted Contributor

Marino is right.

In Windows 2000 there are some instances where the device isn't re-recognized automatically after the firmware update.

If the status message in the firmware update window says 'waiting x of y', then L&TT is only waiting for the drive to report ready again and the process can safely be terminated.

Power cycle your drive and reboot your server, then restart LTT. It should now report the new firmware.
Wade Dykes

I had a similar problem but upon rebooting my nt4 server the L&TT no longer recognizes the drive as a tape drive but as a scsi cdrom. Is there anyway to reflash the firmware if the L&TT wont recognize it.
CA628575
Trusted Contributor

Yes, you can use 'Manual Product Identification' in LTT to force the identification as tape drive and the download the firmware again.

However, this is a password protected function. You need to contact HP support to obtain a password.

Another question: Some tape drives support a feature called 'OBDR' which allow for disaster recovery by purposfully showing up as a CD-Rom drive. I believe you have to push front-panel buttons while you power cycle the drive. Any chance this may the case with your drive?
Wade Dykes

Actually tried that, no luck. And I havent received a response from hp tech support yet via email. So it looks like 'Manual Product Identification' is my last resort, and this is a critical server. Is there a direct number I can call?
CA628575
Trusted Contributor

Yes, see the following URL for support phone numbers in your region: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ContactHP.jsp