1754402 Members
3374 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 5GB External Tape Backup

CA1242990
Occasional Contributor

HP 5GB External Tape Backup

I have two HP 5GB External Tape Backup. I am able to backup and to restore with both machine; however, neither can read and restore tapes backs made on the other - that is, I perform a backup on a new HP 5GB tape on machine A; and machine B can identify the tape but freezes when trying to read the tape. I can read and restore on tapes made from either A or B on my HP 8GB internal tape backup. Why is this happening? Why can't A and B (both external 5GB tape backup machines) read each others tapes? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: HP 5GB External Tape Backup

richard, my best guess would be that the read write heads are slightly mis aligned on one of the drives. no fix to that
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
CA1198775
Advisor

My first thought was: Do they have the same firmware ? Have experienced some of the same
between two units, one a 5gb and the other
an 8gb. The 8 gb had firmware 2.02 while
the 5gb was upgraded to 8gb and firmware
2,08. When the the original 8 gb (the one with 2.02) was upgraded to firmware 2.08,
the freezing was gone.

regards
erik
CA1242990
Occasional Contributor

Erik,

How can I determine what is the firmware presently used by the two 5GB external drives? What firmware upgrade do I used - one system is Windows 98 and the other system is Windows Me?

I have only found firmware upgrade for Windows 98, and it is for 5GBi. What do I search for on HP site?

Thank you.
CA1198775
Advisor

For check on firmware:
Controlpanel, system, tapedrives, settings.
This will display the firmware-revision.

For firmware upgrade, see my experience
on thread "upgrade 5gb til 8gb if unit
has firmware 2.08" (or something like that).
I have listed my experience there.
Good luck !!

erik