1755438 Members
3328 Online
108833 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Colorado 20GB back up

Bill Siggelow

HP Colorado 20GB back up

Hello,

I have a client using HP Colorado 20 GB ext. backup.
The backup is on a peer to peer network and set to backup files on the host system, and to go out on the network and backup files on shared folders. The problem is the backup runs for a couple of hours, then entire system locks up, and has to be hard booted in order to use the system again. Could power management on the shared folders on the network be causing the lockups? I had the client disable power management and screensavers on the host machine, the media is new and formated, and the tape drive is new. Running on Win98se
1 REPLY 1
CA773033

Re: HP Colorado 20GB back up

Bill, If you get an answer to your post, I'd appreciate it if you would let me know. I am not an IT guy, but am running the same setup (except my 20GB tape drive is internal), trying to achieve the same results and having the same problem. I had no success at first, until someone finally suggested that I map the drives to the PC I use to run the tape drive. That was a major step forward. I also, probably without any scientific basis, seem to have more success when I erase the tapes before backup up over them (even though I choose the "overwrite" option). However, even now, about half of the time or more I get in to find that the backup has locked up in the middle. I must power-cycle the PC and then repair the catalog. It is very frustrating. An HP tech told me that the Colorado software that they inherited was poor at backing up networks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.