1752780 Members
6369 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HP L&TT for Linux requires deprecated kernel feature

jb_wisemo
Advisor

HP L&TT for Linux requires deprecated kernel feature

The current L&TT download for Linux (version 4.30) requires the Linux kernel to be compiled with the long-since deprecated "/proc/scsi" feature (CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS).

That interface to SCSI devices was deprecated for more than 10 years by now.  It would be most useful (to the entire customer base), if the part of L&TT that uses /proc/scsi got rewritten to use currently supported system interfaces, such as /sys/class/scsi_tape/ (part of SYSFS).

Then again, L&TT seems to be a useless program that does almost nothing except prepare support tickets or ask for heavily paywalled downloads, perhaps a collection of sysadmin scriptable command line tools would be more appropriate than the current menu-driven system.

7 REPLIES 7
Rajat Bhargava
HPE Pro

Re: HP L&TT for Linux requires deprecated kernel feature

We will need to look at it JB. I will pass this on to the reponsible people and wait for a response.

Regards
Rajat_B
I am an HPE Employee
Rajat Bhargava
HPE Pro

What version of Linux is it?

Regards
Rajat_B
I am an HPE Employee
JungleCheetah
Occasional Visitor

@Rajat Bhargava wrote:

What version of Linux is it?

the questions myself too, no experiences?

jb_wisemo
Advisor

It is currently Linux (kernel) 5.10, running the Debian 10.11 distribution on a headless server.

jb_wisemo
Advisor

This case has been left to rot for a very long time now (I didn't provide my kernel version earlier because the HPE forum doesn't send useful notification mails.

Just for clarification, what would be nice, either from HPE or as recommended 3rd party open source tools would be command line tools to do each of the following:

1. Read and Write the tape "label" stored in the NFC chip of the inserted cartridge.  This would allow backup scripts to check that the correct tape has been inserted and/or record which tape a backup was stored on.

2. Check and upgrade the firmware on HP branded drives using downloaded firmware files from hpe.com, preferably without the massive logistic overhead (for HPE and customers) of self-extracting Windows EXE files.

3. Check the wear, warranty and end of support status of a drive, without the software contacting HPE (but there should be a stable URL to check this given the data output by the generic tool, such as model or serial number).

4. Run the self-tests with clear instructions or a stable URL to clear instructions.

5. Extract any other available information.

Rajat Bhargava
HPE Pro

Re: HP L

Hello JB,
We don't have any recommendation for a third party tool which would perform an equivalent function as described by you.
The only way to go ahead would be to get a recommended OS that LTT is supported on.

Regards
Rajat Bhargava
Global Remote Services (Bangalore): StoreEver / StoreOnce Support
HPE PointNext Services
Working Hours: SUN -THU: 0730 Eastern - 1630 Eastern (US)

Planned leave: None
Training: None

E-Mail: rajat.bhargava@hpe.com
Team PDL - pdlgccbnearlineall@hpe.com
Escalations 24x7 response - cers@hpe.com
Feedback to my manager - Rajesh Gubbi Yajaman - rgy@hpe.com
If you need urgent support over the phone please find the support options for your country on the CONTACT HPE WORLDWIDE home page: HPE Worldwide Contact
You can also log a new case, check the status / update details or raise a call back request on an existing case using the link provided :HPE Support Case Manager
Regards
Rajat_B
I am an HPE Employee
Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

The things you are asking about doing are frequently implemented using standard Linux utilities.  There is also scripting capability in the HPE LTT tool which is described in the user's manual.  Most people use the Linux utilities and there is a lot of information around on how to do that.  HPE does not provide specific recommendations as those types of solutions are highly customized to every user.

Some pointers:

• The Linux magnetic tape utility is called mt
  • The Linux medium changer utility is called mtx
  • Virtually anything you want to do that isn't in another utility can be done with the Linux SCSI Generic driver (sg) and utilities (sg_utils)
  • tar has some ability to access tape drives directly

There are even more Linux utilities and I've seen some amazingly complex and robust tape solutions built entirely out of opensource utilities and scripts.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo