1761418 Members
3502 Online
108901 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: L&TT 4.1 - can't get firmware from web

BR681759
Occasional Advisor

L&TT 4.1 - can't get firmware from web

I had this problem with 4.0 SR2 as well. I have the same problem on two different machines, in different countries, behind completely different firewalls (which are both open to outgoing ftp and http), running different OSes and with different tape hardware, so I'm fairly sure it's not my configuration!

When I click "Get firmware from web" on teh firmware screen, I get a popup saying

"To determine the firmware versions of devices on your system, the current function being used will have to be stopped".

I click OK and L&TT hangs forever and has to be killed.
29 REPLIES 29
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

sounds like you have a tape back up service running as well as LTT
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
BR681759
Occasional Advisor

Do you know what that might be on a normal XP or Windows 203 server install? I have no special backup software installed at all on either, I'm just using the built-in NTbackup.
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

in services, stop the remote management service before running LTT. This is the service windows uses for backup devices
BR681759
Occasional Advisor

Do you mean "removeable storage" or something else - there is no "Remote Management" service. The only "Remote *" services that are started are:

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Remote Registry

and these have nothing to do with backups specifically ...
Wouldn't like to disable RPC as a lot of things depend on this ...
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I meant to say removable storage
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

After L&TT hangs and has to be killed can you please post a copy of the "EventLog.ltt" file from the logs directory? Even when the device can't be accessed L&TT should never hang.

Can you tell us how long you have waited before saying L&TT is hung? One problem we have is that the OS holds SCSI commands until they timeout and the thread that sent the command is hung until the command completes or times out. We have added a "watcher" thread that will open a window after a time and warn you that the application is waiting for a SCSI command to complete but that window doesn't open for a couple of minutes.
BR681759
Occasional Advisor

I think that the removeable storage thing is a red-herring as it's not started when L&TT runs anyway - it is started up manually by XP backup and catalogue tools when needed. I checked and it's not running when I start L&TT.

L&TT hangs indefinitely - several hours at least. Same symptoms on two totally different machines with different OS, hardware etc. I've attached the log.
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Phillip,

Just for the sake of ruling it out, disable RSM before launching LTT
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the EventLog file. It has some interesting data but I'll have to ask a developer to take a closer look because I don't see an obvious problem.

The only major error I see is a testunit ready request to the array controller namagement LUN which sounds odd but L&TT should never try and talk to it again because it got the inquiry data and recongized that it was not a supported device. I don't know if a management LUN is required to conform to a standard so it might just not support tur.

There is a tape drive, HP C5683A, DDS4 at 4/0.3.0, \.\Tape0 which is the only supported device found.

Is that DDS 4 the only HP tape or library device on the system?

Can you try running L&TT with "Saved Scan" Mode and select only the DDS drive? Does it work then?

Can you try using the device manager to "Disable" the DDS drive then use L&TT? It's a pretty brute force approach but when you "Disable" a device in device manager it leaves the device there but disconnects the \\Tape0 driver. L&TT can find the device using the generic pass through SCSI driver but no applications will use the drive without a driver.

If disabling the device in device manager works then something on the system is locking the drive but L&TT isn't handling it well.