7701 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

LTFS Volume Name PROBLEM

gervais519
Occasional Advisor

LTFS Volume Name PROBLEM

Hello everyone,

I am new to creating LTFS. I am using a MAC 10.5.8 and the Ultrium 300 LTO5 deck. I have gone through all of the necessary updates and I am able to format the tape, mount and unmount the tapes. However, I cannot seem to properly label the tape/volume name to what I want. The HP guides are very vague and I am having difficulty understanding them thoroughly.

Every time I format the tape I use  the command "mkltfs -d 0". This will format the tape for me. as soon as I try: 

"mkltfs -d 0 -n test" it formats the drive, but when it is mounted it still says "MacFUSE Volume 0 (ltfs)".

Does anyone know how I am able to make the volume/tape actually have a specific name so when it mounts, myself and clients would know what tape it is as soon as it is mounted? If anyone knows, PLEASE show me how to do this. even if HP Support is reading this thread, contact me and let me know!

Thank you all and hopefully you can help resolve my problem/issue.

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisMartin
Occasional Advisor

Re: LTFS Volume Name PROBLEM

Hello,

I think what you are looking for is the '-o volname' option of the actual ltfs command.  If you do something like:

ltfs -o volname=MyLTFSVolume /place/you/mount

then the LTFS volume should appear labelled as MyLTFSVolume.  I believe the name passed to mkltfs is not currently presented up to the OS; seems like that would be a sensible enhancement.

If this still doesn't work, could you post the command you're using to mount the ltfs volume?

Regards,

Chris

gervais519
Occasional Advisor

Thanks a lot! It did work. I was hoping that when formatting the LTO I could just name the volume right then it there since it seems like in the HP LTFS Manuals I believe "-n" is the Volume name. I guess not though.

This "-o volname=" isn't in the HP LTFS manual you can download that provides all of the commands. How did you find this? Is there a website I can visit or even a file I can download somewhere to get this? It would be really helpful if there was! Please let me know!

ChrisMartin
Occasional Advisor

Glad that did it.  The "-o volname" is strictly speaking an option of the MacFUSE module on which HP LTFS is built; which is probably why it doesn't get listed as an option of LTFS.  It's also particular to the Mac implementation (i.e. won't work on Linux).  

I found it from the MacFUSE web pages ( http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/wiki/OPTIONS ) and thought it sounded like a useful thing so made a note of it...  though in general it's probably sensible to leave most options as-is...

gervais519
Occasional Advisor

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has tried out the new update to HP_LTT version 1.1.0 in regards to volume naming. I haven't had a chance to install the new version and try it out. But has anyone on here tried it and do they now allow the volume naming function? Also, if there are any other great additions I should be aware of, please let me know!

Thanks!