5907 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL G3 Series Status Cleaning required

Faisal7c
Advisor

MSL G3 Series Status Cleaning required

Hello,

regarding above mentioned subject, how i can know cleaning tape is incerted? if not incerted
how can i incert a cleaning tape to library?
11 REPLIES 11
Sudhakar Subramaniam
Trusted Contributor

Re: MSL G3 Series Status Cleaning required

Try running a cleaning process and that can tell you.

If the cleaning cartridge is not a valid cleaning cartridge or if there is no cleaning cartridghe , the LCD screen will display Invalid Tape and the cartridge will be exported or will say no tape.

To clean the tape drive:

From the Home Screen, press Previous or Next until the screen displays Operations. Press Enter to select.

Press Previous or Next until the screen displays Clean Drive . Press Enter to select.

Use Previous or Next until the screen displays either Drive 1 , or Drive 2 . The second line can display either Clean Required or Good for both drives. Select the drive for Clean Required .

When the screen displays the correct drive, press Enter . The screen will display either Cleaning Tape Slot 4 or Cleaning Tape slot XX , where XX represents flashing blocks. If a slot number is displayed, the tape in that slot has a bar code label identifying the tape as a cleaning tape. If a slot is displayed, continue to Step 6 . If no slot number is displayed, it indicates that the library is not able to detect that a cleaning tape with a bar code is in the library. In this case, the operator must select the slot where a cleaning tape resides.

Use Previous or Next to display the location of a cleaning tape.

When the correct location for the cleaning tape is displayed, press Enter to select. While the library is cleaning the drive, Cleaning Drive 1 in progress or Cleaning Drive 2 in progress will be displayed.

After the cleaning is complete, the screen will either display Cleaning Drive 1 Complete , or Cleaning Drive 1 Failed . If the cleaning failed, press Enter to display the error code and message explaining the failure.

The library will return the cleaning cartridge to the original slot. If the cartridge is loaded from the front panel, it should be unloaded from that slot now either by using the mailslot, or by removing the left magazine. When the tape drive cleaning is complete, the Clean drive LED turns off (if previously on).

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

I suppose the text above is taken from a user manual. Have you looked in the user manual Faisal? It definitely should be listed in there..

Anyway, if you don't already have a cleaning cartridge in a magazine you can put one in via the mail slot and then via the OCP clean the drive.

If you take out a support ticket via LTT (library and tape tools) it's possible to see how many times the drive has been cleaned.
Faisal7c
Advisor

I coundnt find the cleaning tape inside the library,
i will install a tape and let me try,
by the way i couldnt see in user manual how to replace the tape
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Why do you want to replace a tape?

I think you should be able to put a cleaning cartridge in the mail slot, then move it to a tape drive, without replacing a tape inside a magazine.

But if you do have to, you just move a tape from a magazine into the mailslot, take it out. Then put in the cleaning cartridge.
Faisal7c
Advisor

Ok, your right, i want to tell you that i' new in tape library. could you please tell me how to do this step by step or can you reffer to me any link for the same

Faisal
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

What is the exact kind of tape library you have?
MSL4048?
Faisal7c
Advisor

No its MSL 2024
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

OK.

Get the manual from here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=120&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3936307

It is called "HP StorageWorks MSL2024, MSL4048, MSL8048, and MSL8096 Tape Libraries User and service guide (AK378-96033, September 2010)"

If you search for "cleaning" in there you will find the instructions.

Before those instructions, you need to put a cleaning cartridge (that has not expired) in the mail slot or in a slot in the magazine.

If you wonder how to do that please read the corresponding part of the user guide.

You can also use the GTS - guided troubleshooting for some assistance -

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-905&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=12169&h_audience=smb&h_client=s-h-e010-1&h_audiencerestrict=trueтМй=en&cc=us

also, dont forget to give points to posts :)
Faisal7c
Advisor

Thanks Johan