StoreEver Tape Storage
1762522 Members
3740 Online
108907 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need help installing C1555D with Adaptec 29160

Danny Vu

Need help installing C1555D with Adaptec 29160

The Host adapter is found and all is good, but for some reason I can't get my newly build server to see the drive.

I pulled the adapter and the drive out of an old PIII server we have sitting around. Previously it was connected to 2 other SCSI drives via 1 cable. The cable have a total of 6 connectors and 1 termination @ the end.
10 REPLIES 10
Munir_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: Need help installing C1555D with Adaptec 29160

Hello Danny: What SCSI ID is the drive on?
Make sure that the drive is not daisy chained and the only device on the controller. Then go into the SCSI Bios (CTRL-A) and Change the Initiate Wide Negotiation to NO in the SCSI Device Configuration.
Let me know if that helped.
Munir
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Danny, when you say the server can't "see" the drive what do you mean? Is it seen during POST? If not you need to check all hardware connections. If it is seen there but not in the O/S try testing it with our Library and Tape tools diagnostic. Take care to disable removable storage in the services section as well as any back up software services.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=406731&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=406729&prodTypeId=12169
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
Danny Vu

The drive is a DAT24,

When I go into bios to look at it, i see a C1537A, when I click on it to adjust setting I get message "this is not a tape drive" or something like that.

All connections are good because I can now see it under device manager and able to update firmware using HP software.

Problem now is I don't see it under disk management and it's not in My Computer.
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Danny, the tape drive does not get assigned a drive letter so you will not see it in My Computer. You cannot "drag and drop" to it so you must use a backup software of some kind.
Danny Vu

perfect, thanks for everyone's help. I'm up and running. Able to backup now.

Doesn't HP have a free backup software? I'm on a trial version of Novabackup. Not really feeling for it though.
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Sorry,no. You do, However, have a built in backup software in your windows operating system that works just fine
Danny Vu

I tried using the built in backup on Win 2003 server but the Tape drive did not show under devices. What could be the cause of this? Is there additional steps that I'm missing?
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

if you are using the native back up, removable staorage service must be enabled and any 3rd party backup services disabled
Danny Vu

I went into disk manager and removable storage is Enable, tried to mount it but I don't see an option to. :(