3860 Online
108835 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Problems with Tape Library MSL 2024

ATVIT
Occasional Visitor

Problems with Tape Library MSL 2024

Hi Commuinity,

I have problem with MSL 2024. It looses communication with the Backup-Server (Win Server 2022 STD) every 7-10 days. After rebooting the Libraray everything is working fine again. On the Backup-Server once the communication error occours the library is not shown in the device manager anymore. Teh library itslef produces the following error message:

23.10.14 00:24:56.94  Libctrl task Error - HE: drive communication error
     Return status: 0x80 - command failed
     Global error code: 0xF1 - HE: drive communication error
     Module error code: 0x01, 1
     Task originator: 0x00 - Libctrl task
     Extender library specifier: 0x00 - master library
     Sub error type: 0x01 - native SDCI error
     Data: Sdci return code 20, Error code 01, USART error code 00, number retries 00
     Source element type.: 0x04 - tape drive
     Element number: 0x01, 1

Does anyone ever had the same problem? I need to know exactly what is wrong here. 
TY

4 REPLIES 4
NarayanKK-SO
HPE Pro

@ATVIT

We have seen this issue in many times and each time the problem seem to happen for different reasons.

1. OS/Monitoring SW related issue where the device is put to offline state due to high polling activity.

2. Not using the right drivers for the device and not updating the storport driver to latest (this can be downloaded from MS site).

3. Library controller related. But looking at the frequency of the issue. This does not look like a problem with LC.

4. If this is FC connectivity. Try to change the switch ports or perform a port reset at the switch level to test.

These are most prominent issues which we have seen. Do check them all and let us know if this helped.

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise] Accept or Kudo
ATVIT
Occasional Visitor

@NarayanKK-SO 

Thanks for your reply.

unfortunately none of your has effect or is applicable in our environmen.

1. We don't monitor the library
2. Drivers are original and up to date 
3. Maybe the LC is shaky and close to end of life?
4. No FC connection present

Regards

ATVIT
Occasional Visitor

Is there a possibility to attach a file in this forum?
I've generated a .tld file from the library which is used for support tickets.

Vinky_99
Esteemed Contributor

@ATVIT 

Good Day!

You may give a try to below ones:

>> Check the physical connections between the MSL 2024 library and the tape drive. Ensure that cables are securely connected.
>>Ensure that the library and the tape drive are powered on and functioning correctly.

>> Ensure that the firmware of both the library and the tape drive is up to date. Check the Support website: https://support.hpe.com/ for the latest firmware updates.
>> Ensure that the drivers for the tape drive are up to date on the Windows Server 2022 system.

>> Use diagnostic tools provided by HPE (Hewlett Packard Enterprise) to perform hardware diagnostics on the MSL 2024 library and the tape drive. These tools can help identify hardware issues.

>> Ensure that no other software or services on the server are conflicting with the operation of the tape library. Some backup or storage management software can interfere with library operations.

>> Check the configuration of your backup software to ensure it is correctly configured to work with the MSL 2024 library.

>> Verify the network configuration between the Windows Server 2022 and the tape library. Make sure there are no network-related issues causing the loss of communication.

>> If possible, connect the MSL 2024 to a different server to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem is specific to the library or the server.

If the issue persists and you are unable to resolve it, consider contacting HPE support for assistance. They can provide more specific guidance and may be able to identify hardware issues.

These are my opinions so use it at your own risk.