108866 Solutions
New Discussion

Showing wrong tatal disk space in medium properties

Liu William
Occasional Contributor

Showing wrong tatal disk space in medium properties

Hi all
Please help me to solve the problem below:
I run a backup process everyday by using and formatting a 400GB backup tapes and mount request happened everytime in the middle of process show that "All available medium space is used up" but I see the tape properties in the media pool that the tapes only used 150GB. I sure use and format already a 400GB tapes. Why all tape space is used up but show the total used disk space of 150GB, the remaining 250GB disk space go to where? please help me...Thanks

William
1 REPLY 1
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

Re: Showing wrong tatal disk space in medium properties

Hi William,

I can't comment too much on the application side but, assuming you're using an HP Ultrium drive, you could find out what you're really using in the way of capacity directly from the tape drive.

If you download and run Library & Tape Tools (free from www.hp.com/support/tapetools) you can pull a 'support ticket' for your drive and in there you'll find cartridge information. You should be able to find the actual native capacity used (after compression).

There is other useful information in the ticket too such as compression ratio achieved by drive (if you've just completed the backup) and whether compression is enabled or not.

Note that tape capacities are specified assuming a typical 2:1 compression ratio so a 400GB tape would only hold 200GB if it wasn't compressing at all. 150GB still sounds low even in this case.

Let me know if you need any help with ticket.

Richard (LTT team)
It's more interesting when it's gone wrong