3240 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Surestore 418 Autoloader - problems after tape stuck

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon Thornton

Surestore 418 Autoloader - problems after tape stuck

Don't know all the technical terms so apoligies if this does not make too much sense

Had a tape stuck in the DLT drive of the autoloader, could not remove it from the front panel controls, so I downloaded the service manual and followed the instructions within that for removing drive and removing tape.
However the DLT had despooled and all tape was on the internal spool. Removed this OK, but the metal strip that catches the start strip of the tape just seemed to hang loose on the spool.
Plus the drive motor assembly (fig 4-4 in service manual) appears to have stuck in the drive full position as when I put it all back together and power up, it immediately returns the base plate so that the system thinks there is still a tape in.
When powered up can hear the loose end of the metal tape on the internal spool "flapping about" under centrifugal force.
What have I missed, doing wrong
5 REPLIES 5
meloni
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Surestore 418 Autoloader - problems after tape stuck

first, if the unit is still undur warranty you can open a call at HP

second, if it is not, check this link, it may help

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50338&locale=en_US
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
Jon Thornton

Thanks Mario,
that was just the information I was looking for it seems to have solved allthe problems (and stopped the Financial Controller having a heart attack, when he found out the cost of a replacement) Hopefully this will remind people to update their warranty
CA713937
Honored Contributor

> However the DLT had despooled and all tape was on the internal spool. Removed this OK, but the metal strip that catches the start strip of the tape just seemed to hang loose on the spool.

Glad you were able to repair your drive, however the problem may reoccur.

You had a different case of a dropped leader. In your case, the drive unspooled off the end of the tape. It most likely missed seeing the EOT hole in the tape. The most common cause of this problem is debris (e.g. oxide from the tape) building up in the BOT/EOT sensor hole. The sensor is slightly clockwise of the 4th roller (starting nearest the cartridge). Some folks have been successful using compressed air to clear out the hole. You can also remove the leader guide to clean out the hole, but that's a bit more delicate of a procedure.

Like the leader reattachment, doing this procedure will void your warranty. But if you're drive is out of warranty, you don't have much to lose.
The journey IS the reward.
Jon Thornton

Many thanks, doesn't appear to be a problem at the moment, but it's nice to have an answer before the problem occurs.
Again thanks
Jon Thornton

Now have more problems, after one successful backup, the drive failed to eject again. Assuming it was the same problem, I stripped the drive down.
However this time the tape had rewound correctly, but had failed to eject. I manually ejected the drive and put it all back together again.
Now I get OPN_DRV_HNDL_CMD error as well as B6h hardware error. I have looked at everything again, and all seems to be OK. When doing initial inventory the drive swaps between tape in and tape out position (the base plate lowers and raises to engage the tape drive system) Is there a sensor involved as well?