1755217 Members
5757 Online
108830 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SureStore DAT24

Casey_1

SureStore DAT24

I have a problem with an old external backupo unit. When I power the unit up the green Tape light comes on as well as the orange Clean light, the drive then spins up and the clean light starts to flash, after that, the drive continues to spin up, then down, then up, then down, it doesn't stop and the clean light keeps flashing, it also will not accept a tape... any ideas?

Thanks for readinh.
3 REPLIES 3
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

Re: SureStore DAT24

Sounds like it thinks there is a tape inside the drive. May be a dust in the sensor or fail of the power on self test. Please contact your HP Customer Care centre. You probably need a replacement unit.

Rothery Harris
Casey_1

Thanks for the reply, I'm wondering if you have any more information on the sensor or where I could check for power faults. The drive is beyond warrenty so I'd have to pay for a replacement drive, I've opened up and insured all connections of ribbons and wires are secure but can't locate what I would thinka sensor would be.

Thanks again for your help.
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

Dear Casey,

The sensor is on the RH side (with the front of the drive facing you, 5cm from the front. Its black with a copper coloured flex cable running to the rear of the drive. Remove all the fluff and debris. If you use a vacuum cleaner keep the nozzle well back so that you do not damage the drive components. Then try a cleaning tape 3 times.
If this fails then the drive is faulty. We still make DAT24 drives but you may wish to upgrade to a DAT40 DDS-4 drive.

Rothery