StoreEver Tape Storage
1752781 Members
6310 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Ultrium 2 tape drive - very noisy

Paul Edelman

Ultrium 2 tape drive - very noisy

I am using an Ultrium 2 Tape drive that is very noisy even when it's not busy with a backup job. I'm guessing it's the fans. I need to be able to shut it off during the day (my jobs run at night). But I keep getting errors like Error 1349 - “Media statistics have been lost at some time in the past”

Error 333 – “Unexpected bus free”

Error 88 – “No devices specified or all devices are now offline”

Error 79 – “Object is no longer active”

I think these are occuring because I am powering off the unit and turning it back on when I leave for the day.

Please tell me a way that I can power down the unit for the day without causing all these errors.

Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrium 2 tape drive - very noisy

you can't. Why don't you just replace the fan?
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
Paul Edelman

The unit's brand new. I could try replacing the fan, but I have a feeling nothing will change. Thanks.
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

If it is brand new you should call tech support and get it exchanged. These are not noisy tape drives.
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

What do you mean by "very noisy"? If you have the drive sitting close to you the normal fan noise might bother you but the drive needs a fan when it is on. If it is an exceptionally noisy fan then there may be a problem.

If you want to turn off the drive you need to eject the tape and then turn it off.
Paul Edelman

Curtis,
The whirring of the fan is loud and annoying; it sits right near my desk. Yesterday I experimented: ejected tape, powered off drive; at end of day, powered on drive, put in new tape, checked Tapeware job to make sure drive was still seen, etc. The job ran without problems. I will continue to do it this way until I get another error. If no errors, you were right on with your suggestion to eject the tape first. I'll let you know. Thanks.
meloni
Honored Contributor

You can run LTT and check if the temperature is high inside the tapedrive, an overtemp may cose similar problems, but it should appear in the support ticket
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
Gualdino Frois

I also have have continuous "Warning 1349 : TapeAlert - Warning - Lost Statistics" and cant make any copy.
thomasr
Respected Contributor

> I also have have continuous "Warning 1349 :
> TapeAlert - Warning - Lost Statistics" and
> cant make any copy.

Let me suggest you start a new thread, with an appropriate title. This one started three years ago, and will quite possibly be overlooked by responders.
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence