StoreEver Tape Storage
1755268 Members
4381 Online
108831 Solutions
New Discussion

Ultrium 448 internal tape drive / Netware 6.5 / BkupExec 9.2

CA1345064

Ultrium 448 internal tape drive / Netware 6.5 / BkupExec 9.2

We recently purchased 7 new ML-570 servers, with the Ultrium 448 internal tape drive. Aside from the fact that I can NOT get BackupExec to see the drive (BkupExec v9.2, Novell Netware 6.5) - - I have an issue with the physical operation of the drives themselves. On ALL of them - whenever I insert a tape cartridge (C7972A) the drive continually tries to load and unload the tape. After a few minutes, it gives up and the blinking "Tape" light comes on (indicating a bad tape). I've tried SIX brand-new cartridges (ones that came with the servers) and ALL of them exhibit this problem on ALL of the tape drives. And yes, I AM inserting the cartridge correctly.

I've tried running the L&TT for Netware program... however, to run diagnostics on the drive it tells me to insert a tape (which the drives won't let me do). When I select the "firmware" option in the program, it says "No files available".

ANYONE have any good ideas...?? I'm about to send the drives back and ask for a different model!

If I could get the cartridges to load - THEN I could try to determine why BackupExec9.2 doesn't see the drive (even though the drive DOES show up under Netware Devices).
1 REPLY 1
meloni
Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrium 448 internal tape drive / Netware 6.5 / BkupExec 9.2

Are you able to run basic test with LTT?, can you collect a support ticket and attach it here? may be we can found some reason reading it
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)